Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dyslexia And Dyspraxia

Good morning

I have a full SEN policy document.

Do we need a separate policy for the legislation of Dyspraxia and Dyslexia.

In need of an urgent reply please.

I can't see any reason why you would have a specific policy for dyspraxia or dyslexia as opposed to any other learning difficulty or disability. If your SEN policy is comprehensive and shows how you identify children who might have an additional need and how you will go about securing the support they need, then I would say this will suffice.

Why specifically these two issues? And how many children will have been identified as dyslexic in the age group you care for, in any case?

Incidentally, the EYFS is very specific about those policies you absolutely must have so this is a good place to start. I know that different Local Authorities have their own views about the number and range of policies they think settings must have, so it is worth giving them a call too.

I'll be interested to see what other replies you get here, and if you do get advice from your LA, can you let us know what they say?

• 3 weeks later...

just spotted this

I agree I cannot see the need for separate policy for specific conditions? there are too many SEN conditions you could easily fill a folder with just the SEN policy if it contained a policy for each condition

we have (as already suggested) a general policy covering overall SEN, we then keep an information folder with leaflets and help lines for staff and parents guidance in supporting children with various conditions

Edited by Alison

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)