Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Fiction Observation

Hi everyone, I am due to be observed on teaching reception about non-fiction. I'm just struggling on how to make it a wow lesson. I thought of introducing the differences between fiction and non-fiction then putting several books into sorting hoops. I thought then I might have laminated cards with certain words e.g. contents page, and once upon a time for the children to put with the correct hoop. I am very concerned at how much time they will spend on the carpet as thats what I am usually picked up on. Does that sound an ok intro? then for activities we have a nursery rhyme topic at the moment so i thought i could use incy wincy spider and introduce them to a spider non fiction book but then im struggling on independent activities and what to do with my focus group im confused!! any advice would be lovely thank you :)

Just a thought - what about different groups take different animals of nursery rhymes and they then write a sentecne to make a group non fiction book about that animal - does that make sense? x

Edited by Guest

I'll have a proper think but just quickly I have in the past done a 'Favourite animals' class book. Each child had to draw a picture of their animal then we differentiated the writing part - some just did the name of the animal (I tried to make sure those had a CVC animal - cat/rat/hen etc!) Others did labels, others a sentence and some all three! (I have a YR/Y1 mix). We put them in alphabetical order and did a contents page then I used one of those spiral binding machines to make it into a book. It is still one of the best loved books in my reading corner.

I've done some nice stuff around writing instructions but not so much about the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

What about a selection of non-fiction books and giving children a topic - which book would you choose to find out about...?

Guest ChunkyMan

What about using instructions etc, something along their interests, maybe doing some cooking using basic recipes, making salt dough or something simple or following instructions whilst doing construction?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)