Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Eyfs Curriculum

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the main changes are with the EYFS curriculum? We haven't had our training yet but would like to just know the basics of the changes with the planning and assessment. What does everyone think of it? Do you think it will make a difference?

Brownie x

Hello Brownie

The Revised EYFS has not yet been published. I believe it's due sometime in March, for implementation in September 2012. A previous thread on here explains how it will not be in a 'hard copy' format, settings will need to print it off themselves. I'm sure that this forum will make sure that subscribers are aware of and have access to an online version of it as soon as it's available.

However, if you Google 'Revised Early Years Foundation Stage', you will find the majority of the intended changes outlined, sorry I don't have a link, maybe someone else will provide it.

With regards to training, I'd suggest you contact your local early years department to see what they are intending to put in place, or what suggestions they have.

Edited by liberty

Hello Brownie

The Revised EYFS has not yet been published. I believe it's due sometime in March, for implementation in September 2012. A previous thread on here explains how it will not be in a 'hard copy' format, settings will need to print it off themselves. I'm sure that this forum will make sure that subscribers are aware of and have access to an online version of it as soon as it's available.

However, if you Google 'Revised Early Years Foundation Stage', you will find the majority of the intended changes outlined, sorry I don't have a link, maybe someone else will provide it.

With regards to training, I'd suggest you contact your local early years department to see what they are intending to put in place, or what suggestions they have.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. We are due to attend courses on this in the Spring but I really wanted to get ahead with what was changing. I am applying for a new job and would like to reflect this in my application form. I've found the odd bit about it but not in enough detail.

Thanks again,

Brownie x

HI

We had a a meeting about the new EYFS this week, with more training to follow next week...

Proposed key changes......

The areas of Learning and Dvelopment have been revised and will contain:

3 prime areas

which are PSED, Physical Development and communication and language.

These will then lead to the 4 specific areas of:

literacy, mathematics, Understanding the world and Expressive arts and design

There will be two complete assessments the end of EYFS assessment as well as one at 24-36months.

There will be a reduction to 17 early learning goals and a change from profile points to emerging, expected, exceeding.

Of course this is all proposed and so is subject to change at any time!! :o

HTH

Kirsty

HI

We had a a meeting about the new EYFS this week, with more training to follow next week...

Proposed key changes......

The areas of Learning and Dvelopment have been revised and will contain:

3 prime areas

which are PSED, Physical Development and communication and language.

These will then lead to the 4 specific areas of:

literacy, mathematics, Understanding the world and Expressive arts and design

There will be two complete assessments the end of EYFS assessment as well as one at 24-36months.

There will be a reduction to 17 early learning goals and a change from profile points to emerging, expected, exceeding.

Of course this is all proposed and so is subject to change at any time!! :o

HTH

Kirsty

Hi Kirtsy

Thank you so much!!!! That really helps a lot and will be great to use this in my application :-). Please could you let me know any further info you get from next course?

Thanks again,

Brownie x

Hi I went to a EYFS cluster meeting which gave us a summary of the draft document which sets out what Brownie has already said in addition there is a section about 3 characteristics of effective teaching and learning :

playing and learning (finding out and exploring, using what they know in their play and willing to have a go)

Through active learning (being involved and concentrating, keeping on trying, enjoying and achieving what they set out to do)

creating and thinking creatively (having own ideas, using what they already know to learn new things, choosing ways to do things and finding new ways)

Interestingly calculating has been left off mathematics which only has numbers and shape and measures in it.

what made me chuckle was 'removal of the requirement to produce a written risk assessment when children are taken out of the setting' as if that will happen!!

Also apparently a reduction in the EYFS profile from 117 pieces of information to 20 based on the early learning goals. There will also be a new professional qualification introduced apparently.

Deb

Interestingly calculating has been left off mathematics which only has numbers and shape and measures in it.

You'll find that calculation is inclusive in the numbers description. This is because security in numbers would be demonstarted in part through using and applying in calculation.

In my experience you will still be needing to look at the same breadth of skills to cover the range of different skills described in all the expected etc descriptors.

Cx

Hi I went to a EYFS cluster meeting which gave us a summary of the draft document which sets out what Brownie has already said in addition there is a section about 3 characteristics of effective teaching and learning :

playing and learning (finding out and exploring, using what they know in their play and willing to have a go)

Through active learning (being involved and concentrating, keeping on trying, enjoying and achieving what they set out to do)

creating and thinking creatively (having own ideas, using what they already know to learn new things, choosing ways to do things and finding new ways)

what made me chuckle was 'removal of the requirement to produce a written risk assessment when children are taken out of the setting' as if that will happen!!

Also apparently a reduction in the EYFS profile from 117 pieces of information to 20 based on the early learning goals. There will also be a new professional qualification introduced apparently.

Deb

Thanks Deb that is really useful :-)

Brownie x

You'll find that calculation is inclusive in the numbers description. This is because security in numbers would be demonstarted in part through using and applying in calculation.

In my experience you will still be needing to look at the same breadth of skills to cover the range of different skills described in all the expected etc descriptors.

Cx

Thanks! Knew calculations would be there somewhere.

Brownie x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)