Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3=nneb?

Just checking.......the Head intends to pay a classroom assistant in my school on the Nursery Nurse scale because she will get more money. The assistant has NVQ3 and I just wanted to check that this is equivalent to the former NNEB. I don't want the nursery nurses or other classroom assistants to be upset because of wrong pay. I expect the Head is right but I thought I'd check with all the experts on this forum!

I think the "process" of achieving these two qualifications have been discussed before, and which one was deemed to be the most valuable in terms of learning. However, I think they are both of an equal level. The QCA site ( I think, or DFES site) has a list of all qualifications and their status.

Sorry to sound so vague but I am sure someone will be able to link you to the appropriate site and info.

Peggy

Hi MissesP -

The struggle was actually the other way round. For various reasons the NNEB qualification wasn't initially regarded as a level 3 qualification, whereas the NVQ3 obviously (as the title suggests) is.

After a fair amount of quite justified outrage (the NNEB was an excellent professional course and qualification) the DfES recognised the NNEB as a legitimate level 3 qualification, provided those with it could demonstrate that they'd kept themselves up to date with training courses etc. (This was due to the fact that the NNEB came to an end a number of years ago, before the Foundation Stage was even a twinkle in the government's eye).

As Peggy mentions, the NVQ3 has come in for a lot of criticism for a number of reasons (which you can read about elsewhere on the Forum), but this is a different matter entirely.

You can read a news item I posted some time ago when the NNEB was first accepted as a level three, by clicking this little link! :)

Hi MissesP -

The struggle was actually the other way round. For various reasons the NNEB qualification wasn't initially regarded as a level 3 qualification, whereas the NVQ3 obviously (as the title suggests) is.

After a fair amount of quite justified outrage (the NNEB was an excellent professional course and qualification) the DfES recognised the NNEB as a legitimate level 3 qualification, provided those with it could demonstrate that they'd kept themselves up to date with training courses  etc. (This was due to the fact that the NNEB came to an end a number of years ago, before the Foundation Stage was even a twinkle in the government's eye).

As Peggy mentions, the NVQ3 has come in for a lot of criticism for a number of reasons (which you can read about elsewhere on the Forum), but this is a different matter entirely.

You can read a news item I posted some time ago when the NNEB was first accepted as a level three, by clicking this little link!   :)

34684[/snapback]

Hi MissesP -

After a fair amount of quite justified outrage (the NNEB was an excellent professional course and qualification) the DfES recognised the NNEB as a legitimate level 3 qualification, provided those with it could demonstrate that they'd kept themselves up to date with training courses  etc. (This was due to the fact that the NNEB came to an end a number of years ago, before the Foundation Stage was even a twinkle in the government's eye).

You can read a news item I posted some time ago when the NNEB was first accepted as a level three, by clicking this little link!   :)

34684[/snapback]

One glass of wine and I can't even manage to get a reply right! Thank you very much peggy and Steve for your help with answering this question for me - it is much appreciated.