Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted This Week!

Hi I teach reception and we are due Ofsted on Wednesday and Thursday this week! Our topic at the moment is light and dark...any ideas for some super duper lessons/activities would be hugely appreciated! Thank you in advance!

We deliver phonics through Read Write Inc so that is taken care of. I had planned for money activities in PSRN and as our topic is light and dark I was going to focus on noctural/diurnal animals etc.

Thanks for the links too, I'm going to look at those now!

We were done just before half term. In reception they were looking at adult focused activities. Make sure you are seen to be challenging the children. Also looking at using phonics in their writing. Also looking at purposeful play. Didn't like seeing a couple of children who looked like they were wandering aimlessly around.........during child initiated play........nearly fell off my chair at that one!

We were done just before half term. In reception they were looking at adult focused activities. Make sure you are seen to be challenging the children. Also looking at using phonics in their writing. Also looking at purposeful play. Didn't like seeing a couple of children who looked like they were wandering aimlessly around.........during child initiated play........nearly fell off my chair at that one!

Did you plan a day full of adult focused activities so that each time they came in you were working with a group or did you still allow for time when you would be supporting play in the areas/observing children?

My mornings are quite formal with phonics groups followed by numeracy groups while the rest of the class are at child initiated play. But the afternoons have one adult led activity usually linked to PD/CD or KUW and the rest of the time is spent observing/supporting child initiated.

We did our normal morning of carpet time with register and topic input about a sequencing activity for goldilocks story modelled by teacher then children went to ci and teacher worked with small groups on activity. Then play and snack. Then phonics input then more ci with teacher still doing adult led then lunch then numeracy input then ci with adult led on small med large activity. Ofsted did not observe phonics input or in fact any teacher whole class input in reception. We're surprised at that given the big focus on phonics and reading.spent a long time looking at all the data but beforehand, rather than in our feedback sessions.

We did our normal morning of carpet time with register and topic input about a sequencing activity for goldilocks story modelled by teacher then children went to ci and teacher worked with small groups on activity. Then play and snack. Then phonics input then more ci with teacher still doing adult led then lunch then numeracy input then ci with adult led on small med large activity. Ofsted did not observe phonics input or in fact any teacher whole class input in reception. We're surprised at that given the big focus on phonics and reading.spent a long time looking at all the data but beforehand, rather than in our feedback sessions.

Thanks for the advice. So they spent most of their time observing small groups and child inititated? I'm so surprised they didn't observe any whole class! How many times were they in during the two days and did you have a rough idea of when they would come into class?

One inspector was just for early years so we knew that we would have lots of obs on the Tuesday as she as only there on one day. The others were there two days. Given a timetable at beginning of first day. Said exactly when they would be in nursery....quite a lot. I am nursery teacher as well as fs coordinator. Didn't know exactly when they would be in reception. She just sanded around between the two most of the day. All inspections are different though. Might not be same for you. If in your feedback she or he brings up something that they didn't like but you feel you can give an explanation about it to put them properly in the picture, do it. Don 't get shirty with them though as that will go badly for you. If you have anything you are proud of eg scrap books, learning journeys, make sure you take them over to where they will be based so that on and off they can look at them. they didn't look in any of my files at my planning etc, but did look at learning journys coz we took them over. A lot will depend on how good your head is at handling them..

Hi Rachel

I am a FS2 teacher and our children visit the Year 1 classes for three mornings over the last few weeks of school. Also we have a whole school transition day. The children have a project to complete to bring to school with them on their first day in year 1. The teachers feel it works ok. Pity you are not doing transition from Pre-school to Foundation Stage because that is where big changes have taken place for us.

Good luck with it all,

Brownie x

• 10 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)