Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Evidence/observations And Profiles

Please help. At a recent moderation meeting we were told, in no uncertain terms, that ONLY observations (long ones) from child-initiated sessions can be used to make judgements against the profile points. I have since re-read the Profile Guidance and that guidance seems to suggest otherwise - ie - that you can plan 'assessment observations' and gives many examples of incidental observations. It seems like an impossible task ONLY to use evidence from child-initiated sessions. Please advise/help.

Hi,

We were also moderated recently and were encouraged to bring a variety of evidence with us eg. children's books, Record of Achievements (containing short observations), digital photographs, creative work etc.

Emphasis seemed to be on how to make observations workable within your own classroom.

When the moderators visited our classroom they did a long observation but suggested that this would be backed up with 'snapshot' assessments and evidence in the children's work. Can't imagine how long it would take to do a long observation for every child for every profile point.

Hope this helps.

Feeling more confused (and angry) about what have been told at the Moderation Meeting. Have spent time again re-reading Profile handbook and reading all the comments on this site. All the teachers at the Moderation meeting had snap shot evidence, examples of work, loads of photos and many lovely incidental obs BUT it was all kind of dismissed - the advisor really only wanted to see long obs of child-initiated - she said it was the only true way of knowing whether a child has really got something (I disagree with this) arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want to go back to her and argue the case for all types of evidence in a variety of contexts - surely we should be looking a the whole child and making sure the whole Profile thing is managable. Also reading comments on this web site there does seem to be many teachers who have even been able to use teacher directed work as evidence - this really was a big no-no at our Moderation meeting. In fact I put my teacher directed observation sheets back in my bag feeling that I had done something wrong. Am I going mad. I just want to get it right for next year.

HELP

Hi Bungalow and welcome to the Forum!

As Susan says, it seems very odd. The problem with offering more than sympathy is that each LEA can make their own judgements and requirements.

Certainly what you're being asked isn't the case in East Sussex, for example. :o

Hi Bungalow

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Susan and think Steve's comment about local LEA's making their own judgements is very true. In our recent FSP moderation meeting in Oxfordshire we all had photographs, observations (mainly short one's on post it notes /sticky labels), and samples of children's finished products (work!!!!!).

The Primary National Strategy documents and FAQ online do not say that only long observations count. The 'building a picture of what children can do' indicates a variety of 'evidence' formats. You do need to gather evidence / examples across a range of situations but many of these would not be written observations. Are you sure that they don't mean don't use 'one off's' or rely heavily on 'tests'? The FSP document says -how much 'evidence' you collect is down to the individual.

I hope this helps - I should phone / contact the advisor with your concerns, I know I would rather people ask/ challenge me

LGM :o

The Primary National Strategy documents and FAQ online do not say that only long observations count. The 'building a picture of what children can do' indicates a variety of 'evidence' formats. You do need to gather evidence / examples across a range of situations but many of these would not be written observations. Are you sure that they don't mean don't use 'one off's' or rely heavily on 'tests'? The FSP document says -how much 'evidence' you collect is down to the individual.

I hope this helps - I should phone / contact the advisor with your concerns, I know I would rather people ask/ challenge me

LGM :o

34590[/snapback]

Thanks - quite a few of us will, I think, go back to the Advisor to double-check. I think you are right, she was making sure that we weren't relying on 'tests' and one offs but we got told 'we are only looking at written (long) obs from Child-initiated as this is the only way you know whether a child has got it or not.' Nothing else seem to count at all!

Don't see any reason why you shouldn't print off this topic and take it back so your adviser can see the responses Bungalow. It might not convince her, but then again it might help? :)

I have copied this bit from guidance produced by Margaret Hodge entitiled:-

Foundation Stage Profile – Briefing for Practitioners

"All good practitioners assess children’s progress throughout the year. The Foundation Stage Profile provides a framework for summarising children’s progress and learning needs at the end of the Foundation Stage. It is made up of 13 scales based on early learning goals.

Practitioners must assess children throughout the final year of the Foundation Stage in relation to the early learning goals. The end of Foundation Stage assessment must be completed by 30 June or two weeks before the end of term, whichever is earlier.

Schools must report a score for each child against each of the 13 scales to their Local Education Authority (LEA). This can be done via the school Management Information System (MIS) or another method agreed with the LEA.

It is for individual practitioners to use their professional judgement as to how much record keeping they want to do and how they keep the records. "

I think this is the key -"your professional judgement!!"

Sue

:o

I have copied this bit from guidance produced by Margaret Hodge entitiled:-

Foundation Stage Profile – Briefing for Practitioners

"All good practitioners assess children’s progress throughout the year.  The Foundation Stage Profile provides a framework for summarising children’s progress and learning needs at the end of the Foundation Stage.  It is made up of 13 scales based on early learning goals.

Practitioners must assess children throughout the final year of the Foundation Stage in relation to the early learning goals.  The end of Foundation Stage assessment must be completed by 30 June or two weeks before the end of term, whichever is earlier. 

Schools must report a score for each child against each of the 13 scales to their Local Education Authority (LEA).  This can be done via the school Management Information System (MIS) or another method agreed with the LEA. 

It is for individual practitioners to use their professional judgement as to how much record keeping they want to do and how they keep the records. "

I think this is the key -"your professional judgement!!"

Sue

:o

34621[/snapback]

Thanks Sue - thats brilliant, will print it off and USE IT!

At our moderation meeting our moderator stressed that evidence can be used from a variety of sources including input from parents. The key factor is that you as a qualified practitioner are sure that the child can achieve the skill unaided and use it their everyday classroom experiences. We use a variety of evidence including long and short observations photographs and practitioner judgement.

I certainly havent done many long observations for evidence. I supplied photos, books etc and have detailed annotations in their topic books. It wasnt quibbled.

I find it really difficult to do long observations as I dont have full time support. I tend to spend the time working with a group supporting them, teaching them and rarely get the chance to just sit back and watch. I know this is an area I need to develop though.

Hi there - I use a wide range of evidence - longer obs ( approx 5 mins if properly focused and child is working purposefully) , post its, samples of child and teacher directed activities, photos, quick comments and observations against learning objectives. I find it very useful to ensure that any 'work' has children's verbal comments annotated on them.

I based my planning for assessment on Vicky Hutchins book

'Observing and Assessing for the Foundation Stage Profile '( I believe it was recommended by the bods higher up fairly early on as we started looking at the Profile) It has been my bible ever since! ISBN 0-340-81212-5 approx £15

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)