Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journeys

Hi All

A Learning Journey is a wonderful way of showing a child's progress from the moment they start at your setting.

It would be good to hear from you ways in which you develop your learning journeys, for example, who contributes to the information that is being gathered - children? parents? key person? other providers? Any difficulties or what works well.

It's good to share :o

well in reply to that in our setting everyone parents, key person, me but most of all the children it is their book, some of mine carry them around all morning adding pictures, stamps, stickers

Staff sit with their children and stick photos obs etc with them, they plan next steps with them and also put in learning outcomes.

where do you store them?

are they in a form of a scrap book ????

We are a pack away nursery everything comes down including displays etc

We are a pack away, church hall,

we have our displays on cork boards which come out daily and are hung from radiators at child height,

we have developed over the years some good storage, so it is quicker for me to set up - rakes me an hour and 15 mins i listen to chris evans on radio 2 and feel that is my exercise for the day

the LJ are scrape books, A3 size on a ring binder. they are kept in a large box, children have access to them.

they are not all in the box usually at once although they would fit as my staff take them home to work on them (i currently have 32 children on books) or parents may have taken them home over night.. There is no personal information kept in the LJ that would identify the child other than first name

they also have a ring binder A4 size which they keep data in eg well being scores, long obs, iep's, parental comments

and progression chart for plotting development

A Learning Journey is a wonderful way of showing a child's progress from the moment they start at your setting.I totally agree with this!

It would be good to hear from you ways in which you develop your learning journeys, for example, who contributes to the information that is being gathered - children? parents? key person? other providers?

Key workers through the week take loads of photos but only do formal obs once every half term to produce evidence of progression. So we end up with a folder full of photographic evidence notated with date/what was happening (brief) and more in depth obs when a eureka moment occurs or we are monitoring somthing specific. Parents are encouraged to bring in photos, write etc in LJ and are provided with Home lInk forms which they can return detailing what the child has been up to at home. Each week we send home a form for the childs feedback...what they liked what they didnt like what they would like to do next week...this is used in the planning and then also stuck into the LJ. Notes from other agencies are also enclosed. Records of conversations with parents/carers are also enclosed. Where we have close links with other settings child attends details are also noted in the LJ and with one of them we now get our LJ's together to review the children's progress together...see what they are doing where etc. LJ's are kept in a box accessible to children, parents and key workers. Children are encouraged to help stick in pictures etc. We do also keep a separate scrap book though because although in theory the LJ should be returned to the family at the end of the FS...we have found one or two schools locally who fail to do this so we keep a separate scrap book which we also feed with children's work etc and this is given to the parents on the day of graduation...just in case the big LJ file never comes back to them.

Any difficulties or what works well. We have had no issues apart from the fact that we would like to involve more childminders/other settings in the process but I personally think that due to economic conditions and competition for bottoms on seats this is never going to work well....but we will keep on trying!

Edited by enuffsenuf

i am not nursery but reception and do similar to other posts. my learning stories are in scrapbooks with black pages. I keep the LJ in the book area and children love to look at them. All adults in the classroom take pictures, collect things children do either the original or photocopy e.g. drawings, mark making and write down wow moments on sticky notes, these are stuck into the LJ and the pictures are annotated with gold and silver pen (due to the black paper!). When children create something in CI and want to put in their LJ we stick it in together. The headteacher also adds notes to the books and slides from the school pride wall are added. Parents write pink post its and wow slips and at the end of the half term they are removed from the wow tree and place in the LJ.

I also do a longer observation of each child half termly which goes in. i try and put a variety of things in the LJ but its mostly from CI.

i would like to send the LJ home throughout the year but last time some got damaged so now parents come in to look at them or share them with their child during stay and play sessions.

i would like it if i could carry the children's LJ on from nursery but because my children come from 16 different nursery's this is not possible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)