Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The Enormous Turnip

Hi!

I am going to be doing a focus on the story 'the enormous turnip' in a few weeks time.

We will be focussing on talk for writing so will be retelling the story using props and story maps etc but i am lacking on ideas for other areas of the currculum. Does anybody have any good ideas which they wouldnt mind sharing with me?

Thank you!

The children love it when we look at this story.

Bring in a real turnip for the children to see! From there, we talked about still life drawings / printings... where it came from... root vegetables vs. growing above the ground/on trees. Let the children lead you.

You could also use the story to look at different sizes of vegetables. Why they thought it grew bigger than the rest etc. Compare weights of real vegetables. You could even taste different vegetables and make a chart showing the most favourable / least favourable.

Chop it up and put it in the water tray! We had a good day making turnip soup. :o

I'm sure I came across some more fab ideas with the forum search. xD

Guest hfitz12

If you would like to PM me your email address Ill send you my planning for The Enormous Turnip I did last year as it might give you some ideas.

Helen

I did the enourmous turnip last term, we re-told it using BSL (to support kinaesthetic learners and EAL children), placed lots of different veg outside in the growing area for the children to re-tell the story which lead onto us making our own story called the enourmous carrot which involved the children as the characters and their choice of animals.

• 2 months later...

thank you for all of your responses! the children had a great time and enjoyed all of your ideas!! :)

We use "The Three Singing Pigs" by Kaye Umansky ISBN 0713659351, there is a rap for The Enormous Turnip also lots of other raps including The Three Bears and The Little Red Hen. The children enjoying joining in with rapping.

I've just noticed you have already completed your focus on the subject - but it's something for future reference.

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)