Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whats My Role

hi all,

i work in a private nursery which has an owner, a manager, 2 co-ordinators and me (the EYP). i work half the week in the setting with the children and team as a key person and the other half doing 'eyp' duties. the trouble is i dont actually know what is expected of me, i havnt recieved a job description and as there is a manager and two co-ordinators it feels as though there isn't enough 'jobs' to do and that i'm stepping on peoples toes.

i have asked for a job description but still none as yet. being the key person is fine i know where i am but its not actually my job to deal with staff etc. i have been told it is expected of me to implement the eyfs fully and review it and make changes accordingly but feel i cant lead any changes because the co ordinators of the room do that as part of their 'job description'.

as a result to this i often feel lost or not living up to the job. i was really excited about gaining EYPS but feel as though i'm not doing much, additionally because i work half the week as a key person i can't fully monitor the practice as i'm sure you are all aware the hustle and bustle of working with children.

any tips would be very much appreciated.

x x

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for making your first post. :o

This is not an unusual situation: I know of several EYPs in your position xD

Can you give us an idea of the "EYP duties" you do on the days you're not being a key person? And also the type of setting you're in, ie numbers of room/children, etc.

I've attached an EYP roles and responsibilities document from the EYPS forum. This may give you a start in perhaps drafting your own job description to discuss with your manager?

Are you engaged in reviewing practice through a QA scheme, ECERS, etc? Or do you have responsibility for any area of the SEF?

And finally(!) what are your real areas of interest? Is there a curriculum area that you are especially interested in, eg music or art, that you might want to focus on throughout the setting?

EYP_roles_and_relationships.doc

I don't think I've got any suggestions, but wanted to say I know how you're feeling... My role changed last year from deputy to 'EYFS adviser', with the old manager appointing someone else as deputy... I felt just left out in the cold, wasn't allowed any input in spending, courses for anyone to go on, planning... but had to be key person & make sure everyone was doing the best for EYFS! I put starting my EYP on hold as I couldn't face putting the effort into it when I felt so undervalued...

Personally i think this is one of the flaws with the EYP role & existing managers etc. In many setting the "existing" heirarchy didnt want to undertake higher level training and hence have either trained up someone in their setting or employed someone from outside to fulfill the criteria......however whilst they want the shiny star person to look good on their portfolio.....they are reulctant to let go of the reins because they are the manager. So it is no wonder you feel that you are walking on egg shells because you know more, probably have a greater understanding of what needs to change etc....but to do this will cause friction with the old guard. I wish you luck as I know where I am at the moment although Im not EYP I am the graduate leader of practice...and all I seem to do is end up on the wrong side of everyone! :o

Same here enuffsenuf.

Can't say anymore than that, but needless to say, I've got no one I can offload to, who understands. I'm feeling slightly jaded with it all and I was really enjoying my role up until last week...

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for making your first post. :o

This is not an unusual situation: I know of several EYPs in your position xD

Can you give us an idea of the "EYP duties" you do on the days you're not being a key person? And also the type of setting you're in, ie numbers of room/children, etc.

I've attached an EYP roles and responsibilities document from the EYPS forum. This may give you a start in perhaps drafting your own job description to discuss with your manager?

Are you engaged in reviewing practice through a QA scheme, ECERS, etc? Or do you have responsibility for any area of the SEF?

And finally(!) what are your real areas of interest? Is there a curriculum area that you are especially interested in, eg music or art, that you might want to focus on throughout the setting?

thank you to all your replies it has given me an idea that i am not the only one who feels like this. in answer to some of your questions i am not involved in the SEF, i wanted to be but the manager insisted that was her job and not mine even though i thought the SEF was to involve the ideas of the whole setting??

i have been involved with ITERS ECERS and implmenting the action points with the staff in the room however i cant be with them all the time and i dont need to be for that.

the days where im not acting key person are mainly spent reviewing the EYFS rquirements and evaluating what we do to see if there is something we need to improve for example i have developed our well being and involvement strategies and involved parents views through a questionnaire i did (may i add that this took a lot of asking and asking and asking the manager if this was ok to do, i am not allowed to do anything without running it by her first).

other than that i feel i am just reading things i already know and looking around to see if there are any updates. i am a little worried also as the new EYFS is coming into play and i asked last year for the manager to book me on the training as it's my job to ensure the EYFS is delivered properly and she didn't as a result the courses are all booked so i do not know what i am going to do (CPD is one of her jobs too).

thankyou for the EYP roles and relationships i will be approaching her again about my job role and its nice to have an idea of what i want.

thanks again to you all

x x x