Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pictorial Recipes

BIRD CAKE

I couldn't find any so decided to make my own. Took AGES so thought we could share them!

I'm after really basic ones that non-readers could follow with little guidance.....

Bird_Cake_recipe.doc

Has this been useful for anyone? Has anyone got any others to share?

Forgot to say that I cut each sheet in half and laminated them before holepunching and tying coloured thick wool through. It means each section is on a separate page so easier for children to keep their place. I was hoping to do lots but you know how it is!!

Hi Pandamonium- Have saved the bird cake recipe to use another time, looks great though

Didn't know if you would find this interesting

Two weeks ago I was on an observation course run by Margaret Edgington an Early Years consultant. One of the videos she used to help us in observation skills was about a little girl making cakes almost independently. It was at Southway Nursery School in Bedfordshire. Basically they have really good clear picture recipes for the children to follow so they can bake on their own these include symbols etc so the child knows when to get an adult to put things in the oven etc. I understand they spend ages in the beginning training children to be independent learners. It really was fantastic to watch.

They have a web page www.schools.bedfordshire.gov.uk/schools/southway

I understand they sell their picture recipe books so I have just e-mailed them for some further info. When they get back to me I will post it on here incase anyone is interested.

I have seen that video - little girl with hardly any English? Chinese I think?

Yes, that's what made me want to do it as she was doing the whole thing on her own wasn't she!

Let us k now if you have any joy please!

Hi pandamonium -

Thanks for that. Nice idea and very beautifully put together! :)

As for others to share, I haven't come across any for animals or birds in the Forum. We do have the recipes for children though, which you've probably come across?

Tracey takes a bow!

Thanks Steve - actually I was after recipes for the children to use... sorry if I made it sound like I wanted them for nature! That just happens to be hte one I did!

Please direct me to where I can find the other ones.

We were talking today about taking photos during a cookery session and making those into a recipe book. We obviously couldn't share those tho - unless we focused on the hands I guess and didn't use faces hmmm ponders that one

I found the recipes bit in resources - is that what you meant? Had already made the banana muffins!

YuM!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)