Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Iep's For Reception Class

Hi there,

Im writing an IEP for a child in my class. ok with all areas but I want to set him a target to get him to communicate with others freely. Not sure how to word it and make it measurable. Dont just want to put..... to communicate with toher children I think it might need to be more specific. He looks at other gestures etc says a few words now and again. He can talk he just chooses not to. he will speak to me and answer questions very briefly.other children ask him what he is doing and asks him to play with them but he just ignore them.

Any advice on wording for this target would help.....

thanks

personally i would try and go for a non verbal response first...so perhaps something like responds with a wave when other children say hello /good morning/or goodbye (consistently) ..difficult without knowing the child to set targets well but i'm so glad you asked...my daughter has dyslexia and on one of her iep's from school the teacher wrote...."to improve her spelling" :o well i ask you!!!!

Thanks Finleymaid,

I cant belive they but that on ur daughter IEP- Im dyslexic too so fully understand.

Thanks for your advice I know what you mean its hard to say when you dont know him. he tends to just copy whats going on so he would wave or copy what others are doing. My problem is thier is no communication when he is working independently. if I wasnt their he simply would not interact with anyone bless him. I might begin with wave and say hello and then gradually add more words.

Could you use a 'language for learning 'assessemnt to identify a base line and work up from there? Its a great resource.

I would concentrate on making eye contact with adults and peers in structured and unstructured times? eg circle times. Maybe play alongside with a willing peer and do a running commentary on the play to model language and develop awareness of basic interactions?

good luck :o

IEP targets should be 'SMART' - Small, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Targets. So, having 'By the Easter holidays, Johnny will wave to greet other children when working independently', and maybe one other eg 'Johnny will always use 1 to 2 word utterances in direct response to a question by Staxfleming or other familiar adult working in the class' will fit the criteria.

I take it his hearing's been checked? I have a little lad who frequently doesn't respond unless you get in front so he can see you & he is going back to audiology to be checked again - the joys of intermittent hearing loss as last time he was fine when checked!

what about a communication group? small group of children who regularly meet and follow a set procedure- games and repeated and modeled language. No pressure to talk but the opportunity and may help him socially to build up confidence with well chosen other children that are good examples and potential talking partners/playing outside the group.

I used this type of group as part of an iep with one boy and managed to get one other child who barely spoke quite involved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)