Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents Evenings For Under Two's

Hi everyone,

Have just joined today, and thought i would have a go at a topic. Not sure if this is in the right place, but sure someone will put me in the right direction if not.

I am a nursery assistant in a private day nursery, and spend most of my time in the under two's room. I am going to celebrate a landmark birthday soon, and have been working in nursery's since i was 18. I love my job and have embraced all the new frameworks. I am however a little perturbed about the prospect of parent evenings for my under two's room. The parents in this room are given a written slip about their child, for every day that their child attends nursery, detailing activities and other relevant information relating to their particular child, eg when they slept, what they ate etc. As well as this their development folders are always available to parents. I just worry about what i am supposed to say to these parents, and how long should i be allowing for each parent. This is obviously taking place in the evening, and i am pretty sure that i won't be paid for this extra time. What do other members think? Any idea as to whether i need to produce a "report" for parents. Help!!

Welcome niftyfifty, I've got a big birthday this year, does make you wonder where the time goes doesn't it? For our parents evening we allow 10 minutes per parent (yes ours are held in our own time too!)and use this time to explain a little about the EYFS and how we plan for the children from their interests and then give an over view of their childs progress since the last parents evening. We find that although we provide daily reports on the children, parents really like the opportunity to talk outside of preschool sessions and who doesn't like to hear lovely ancedotes and positve feedback on their child? We use the learning journey format from the EYFS CDrom as a 'report' as this has space to write a little about the childs acheivements, a space to write next steps and space for parents to add their comments all topped off with a lovely photo of thier child at play in the setting. Hope this helps

Welcome niftyfifty, I've got a big birthday this year, does make you wonder where the time goes doesn't it? For our parents evening we allow 10 minutes per parent (yes ours are held in our own time too!)and use this time to explain a little about the EYFS and how we plan for the children from their interests and then give an over view of their childs progress since the last parents evening. We find that although we provide daily reports on the children, parents really like the opportunity to talk outside of preschool sessions and who doesn't like to hear lovely ancedotes and positve feedback on their child? We use the learning journey format from the EYFS CDrom as a 'report' as this has space to write a little about the childs acheivements, a space to write next steps and space for parents to add their comments all topped off with a lovely photo of thier child at play in the setting. Hope this helps

Thank you, i'm sure it will all be very useful. I'm sure once we have seen the first parent, it will be a lot easier. Thanks again, and have a lovely birthday when it occurs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)