Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keygroups

Hi We have a staff meeting on Wednesday and don't want to look like I am just moaning so wanted to know what other settings do. We have 20 children per session and are open 5 days 9 to 3.30 and have 5 staff including 1apprentice and 2 jobshares I work 4 mornings per week. I have 12 keychildren aged 3 years and am finding doing all the learning journey's, home link diaries and the planning very hard to fit in so I am doing lots of hours at home as well as trying to make resources to develop the environment (I know lots of you do work at home). I feel quite bad moaning because the owner has been so fair with me hours changes etc but it really does bother me as I am conscientious. After all that babble the question is how many keychildren do you have and work load?

Thanks for your help :oxD

hi, I'm in a 20 place setting like you and have 6 staff who all work parttime, each of us have 9-13 children each depending on how many hours we do and yes we spend a great deal of our own time doing paperwork so I can't offer any advice other than to suggest that you check that every piece of paperwork you do is absolutely necessary and making sure that you don't have to write any of it twice. for example we used to write spontaneous obs onto pads and then write into learning journeys but we now write on stickers and put them straight in, another example is that we use photos whenever possible which require no writing.

Thanks for the reply very good advice I may do to much paper work and it sounds like the size of my group is ok so I will just carry on thanks again

do you feel you have to do home diaries every day? we only do these for sen children or for those parents we find we have no contact with.Difficult of course once these things are part of the expectation of parents to change..we have daily chats with the parents at the door would that be enough for your parents.(you could try and sell it by saying it is taking you away from 'playing with their children ) try to simplify your planning routine ... i think we sometimes make work for ourselves! (i currently have 9 children one of which has sen needs and requires some 1-1 time, all my staff have about the same )

I have to say that i am very good at preaching but not so good in practice with time management :o

We've got 28 children in a day & 7 staff who are key persons (+ 1 trainee who only works 1 day a week & has no key children) and we've aimed for no-one to have more than 8 key children, so to be honest, 12 key children feels a lot to me, especially for someone working 4 mornings a week.

We're starting timetabling in 10 minutes per key child per week non-contact time to work on Learning Journeys - I've had a few staff sicknesses so it hasn't worked as well in practice as it looks on paper so far! But the idea is that no-one should have to use their own time to do it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)