Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception And Ofsted 2012

Hi, Is anyone like me thinking all of a sudden we are expected to be more like year one? I feel putting EYFS in with the whole school is encouraging head teachers to treat us more like the rest of the school. What happened to year one more like reception? I think its inevitable that we will be more structured in our teaching our young children. I ve been in early years all my teaching life and I am actually getting a little nervous about what is happening. Big focus on reading/phonics etc leading to testing in year one is increasingly impacting on EYFS beliefs. What do you all think? Our setting got outstanding last Ofsted, I m not sure we will now! :o

i'm feeling a bit like you princess polly at the moment, there is a real big focus on reading and phonics, theres always a focus on writing. WIll be intersting to read the final report when the decide to publish it!!

Guest tinkerbell

Well my school was one of the first 10 in the country to be done under the new 2012 Ofsted....first week back after Christmas 4th-5th January.

We have been outstanding in the past as a school and the Early years have been outstanding for the past 2 Ofsteds.This time we got 2's in all four areas,which are goods.

Looking at it from a schools point of view I am really pleased because it does show continued progression for all the children from foundation to yr6,with no dip or problems.so that is great.

The inspector was in and out for 2 days and as reception teacher I did get an hour with him,he wanted to see a phonics lesson,so I was fortunate as I knew when he would be watching me.

Yr1/yr2/yr4/yr6 He did focus in on phonics,reading and writing,boys/girls.

The process was ok but the inspector did have a bee in his bonnet about outdoor provision ,and as we are having a new extension our area is very limited at the moment.He had to comment on this which cheesed me off as I had photo books of all last year and the great outdoor learning....not interested.I also felt he had probably had a crash course in EYFS as he was secondary science .He had aparantly mada a comment to the HT that there was no focus in the childrens outdoor work where they were investigating puddles......no idea....unfortunately my head didn't put him straight and I didn't know that he was thinking there should be an adult lead focus.....

Very interesting to read. We are due any time - feeling v stressed and anxious about this!! Focus in my school at the moment seems to be on exactly how much progress the children have made. Did your inspector focus on this?? And where would you expect your children to be on the FSP at this time of year?

Guest tinkerbell

The inspector wanted to know where the children started and where they were now .I use the e-profile and print out each half term so he compared the on entry and the november scores...they had all made progress.I also told him they would probably be even further but I didn't have enough evidence to tick the boxes

Tinkerbell

We had an Ofsted in October which did not go well for the school and our Head left in the middle of the inspection!

He apparently had not done anything about the things that Ofsted had brought to his attention in the Ofsted from the previous inspection. We went into notice to improve.

What I am wracked off by is that the FS results were all goods and outstandings the inspection before as they were the one before that.

This time because we don't have a foundation stage co ordinator and it was brought up at the previous inspection they were very dismissive of the FS in general and only took the time to speak to us for 10 mins to gather info (because they were running late they said) and observed us for 15 mins at the end of one session when we were on the carpet. They said our outdoor areas were too small and I argued we made the most of what we had and that the children had free access and we made the most of it.

We got satisfactory all round.

We are due the first inspection/ hoop to jump through this month with regards to the notice to improve and we know we will be due a "proper" inspection next Autumn term.

A different team will come in with anew Ofsted idea and a new EYFS. Our new Head won't start till September and I wonder now quite how we will manage and what the point to it all is .

We work so hard and to be knocked down I think just because we do not have a co ordinator which is not our fault and in fact we don't feel is an issue, does not seem at all fair. :o

Sorry I went off at a tangent there.

I think it was the word OFSTED!!

I wanted to say that I feel the new EYFS will be used to beat the reception class with to make it more formal for the children's entry to year one.

Unless your Head is very strong and very early years orientated I believe Reception in particular are going to become very different places.

I don't think this is good news at all.

I hope to be proved wrong.

oh dear from reading the above getting very worried....Also due ofsted!

We have a large outdoor area but no shelter- a poxy shed and no decent resources, we try our best with focus activities outside but eveything gets worried. I hate to think of all the time, effort, sweat and tears we put in to be knocked down agaon! Taking on the phase manager role for foundatin satge means it will be me they interview!

Anyone any ideas on what they ask the phase manager?

Also our school its all about progress and targets! They interview reception kids to see if they know what they are learning and what their targets are. Poor 4/5 year olds!

grrrr!

and also in responce to the question about where we would expect children to be at this time of the year....we say it would depend on the area of your achool, what the baseline score are like. At our school all children are between 1-3 on entry and we expect them to be between 4-6 by now. Obviously this does not work for all children in all areas its just a basis. We look more at the overall score termly.

Well my school was one of the first 10 in the country to be done under the new 2012 Ofsted....first week back after Christmas 4th-5th January.

We have been outstanding in the past as a school and the Early years have been outstanding for the past 2 Ofsteds.This time we got 2's in all four areas,which are goods.

Looking at it from a schools point of view I am really pleased because it does show continued progression for all the children from foundation to yr6,with no dip or problems.so that is great.

The inspector was in and out for 2 days and as reception teacher I did get an hour with him,he wanted to see a phonics lesson,so I was fortunate as I knew when he would be watching me.

Yr1/yr2/yr4/yr6 He did focus in on phonics,reading and writing,boys/girls.

The process was ok but the inspector did have a bee in his bonnet about outdoor provision ,and as we are having a new extension our area is very limited at the moment.He had to comment on this which cheesed me off as I had photo books of all last year and the great outdoor learning....not interested.I also felt he had probably had a crash course in EYFS as he was secondary science .He had aparantly mada a comment to the HT that there was no focus in the childrens outdoor work where they were investigating puddles......no idea....unfortunately my head didn't put him straight and I didn't know that he was thinking there should be an adult lead focus.....

Guest tinkerbell

There is no seperate paragraph for the EYFS in a primary school report now .It is the whole school together and the inspector will make a 'best fit' judgement under the four areas.Progress is what they are looking for 'rapid' is the word in the outstanding criteria .

:o

There is however the guidance on inspecting the EYFS in the Ofsted inspectors additional documents. They are still looking at EYFS under the current framework as this guidance shows.

The EYFS in a school is part of the whole school so even if that part is great if the rest of the school is not then the whole school cannot be, if you see what I mean. Things like leadership and management are across the entire organisation so it's maybe a good thing that there is not this separartion of a part of the school.

Whatever Ofsted say or do the EYFS will be subject to a statutory famework which is what will guide practice. However the bar has been raised in expectations and what was good or even outstanding before may not be this time.

Cx

EYFS_Inspecting_EYFS_Guidance.doc

I think that it is very difficult for Foundation Stage's to get Outstanding - or so my head keeps telling us! Our school did exceptionally well in our Ofsted last June (fortunately I still on Maternity Leave - or possibly unfortunately as I couldn't fight our corner!). As a school, we got Outstanding in all but 2 areas on the old Ofsted format - the FS 'only' got good due to data (mostly that the Ofsted inspector couldn't understand it and the head or FS leader couldn't explain it very well either!!) which we were all upset about but then our head looked at the 14 schools in the area that had got Outstanding and found that only 1 had got Outstanding in the FS. Also, he did tell us to remember that the other areas couldn't get Outstanding if those things weren't deemed as Outstanding in the FS e.g. the inspector said that the behaviour and PSE was Outstanding through the WHOLE school, same for teaching etc which is going to show more on the new format. We felt, because of the nature of the old inspection format, that the finger was REALLY pointed at us but with the new format it wouldn't come across quite the same. Funnily enough one of our areas to improve from the last inspection was the outdoor area, but they didn't even look at what we did out there! Just really focused on data, progress etc and our LA have made a right mess of the eprofile - in terms of guidance of how to score so the whole borough comes way down the list, so even though our school was at the top it didn't compare favourably with the rest of the country.

Time will tell, I suppose ...

I think that it is very difficult for Foundation Stage's to get Outstanding - or so my head keeps telling us! Our school did exceptionally well in our Ofsted last June (fortunately I still on Maternity Leave - or possibly unfortunately as I couldn't fight our corner!). As a school, we got Outstanding in all but 2 areas on the old Ofsted format - the FS 'only' got good due to data (mostly that the Ofsted inspector couldn't understand it and the head or FS leader couldn't explain it very well either!!) which we were all upset about but then our head looked at the 14 schools in the area that had got Outstanding and found that only 1 had got Outstanding in the FS. Also, he did tell us to remember that the other areas couldn't get Outstanding if those things weren't deemed as Outstanding in the FS e.g. the inspector said that the behaviour and PSE was Outstanding through the WHOLE school, same for teaching etc which is going to show more on the new format. We felt, because of the nature of the old inspection format, that the finger was REALLY pointed at us but with the new format it wouldn't come across quite the same. Funnily enough one of our areas to improve from the last inspection was the outdoor area, but they didn't even look at what we did out there! Just really focused on data, progress etc and our LA have made a right mess of the eprofile - in terms of guidance of how to score so the whole borough comes way down the list, so even though our school was at the top it didn't compare favourably with the rest of the country.

Time will tell, I suppose ...

A similiar thing happened in my school. We got outstanding across the school but FS was good. The inspector didn't have a clue about EYFS as don't the SMT. It is galling isn't it?

Guest tinkerbell

But the opposite happened for my school last inspection,the school got good with outstanding features and the EYFS got outstanding in everything,there were two inpectors and one an early years one who spent nearly a whole day with me! considering we only have 4 classes ( the top class was on a residential)that was a lot of time ,but I was able to show her everything and had lunchtime (1hour) talking to her.

This time although I was observed formally and the inspector was in and out...before he came he said to my HT 'how could the early years be judged outstanding on the last 2 ofsteds when you are saying the new building will improve the outdoor provision?' (damn)....we are a building site and I have not got the field and growing garden but I did show him Big books of photographs of what does go on when its there!...no...he wouldn't be swayed.

They do have an agenda

Im a f1 teacher and we have just been inspected, the focus was the baseline from past 3 years and progress made, transition with f1/f2/yr 1 and all 3 teachers had a long meeting with the inspector to discuss how we plan, work with parents, carry on fsp in year 1.

If anyone wants more info just ask its still fresh in my mind lol x

It's such a shame when inspectors who have all worked in schools can not see that even if you are Outstanding there are always things you can do to improve! Just because you said that your new building will be an improvement, it doesn't mean you can't already be Outstanding. It's like saying if Usain Bolt runs even faster, then he wasn't very good before!

I have always tried to remember the saying: "If you stop trying to get better, you stop being good".

With the new framework there are higher expectations so jdgements will be shifting.

But I like the idea of a whole judgement for the school, leadership will need to ensure the whole school is good or outstanding to get it which is no bad thing for children.

Cx

Edited by catma

Im a f1 teacher and we have just been inspected, the focus was the baseline from past 3 years and progress made, transition with f1/f2/yr 1 and all 3 teachers had a long meeting with the inspector to discuss how we plan, work with parents, carry on fsp in year 1.

If anyone wants more info just ask its still fresh in my mind lol x

Yes please, we are due any day? What sort of things did you get asked? We have a new pre-school group (started in September). Especially interested in what they asked about transitions between F1 and F2 and F2/Y1. Thanks!

Guest tinkerbell

Thats what I originally said Catma.I am really pleased that the whole school has come out as good in all areas,it does show we are a team and we are working together.

I am old enough to take the peg down from Outstanding although his reasoning does niggle me :o hey ho theres more to worry about than silly old Ofsted!!!

Tinkerbell

They do have an agenda

Yes they do! We were inspected a week ago, we were not due til july. As a special school we are already at somewhat of a disadvantage but were prepared to fight our corner. Unfortunately they were not in the least interested in anything we have planned for the future, they just wanted to see data. I used the e-profile last year and was able to show them a printout of that! They wanted to see assessment informing planning and as i include scale point refs on my planning (as well as p levels) they were happy. My outdoor env let me down even though i have amazing things planned for the future. They want to see all singing all dancing teachers who are taking risks. they also want to see children engaged in child initiated learning. hope this helps.

I would also like answers to the same questions as slimbridge please. ofsted due amytime and we just had a mini ofsted ran by school to prep us. I will be the FS co-ordinator when they come and would like to know what thye will be asking me.

Thanks

It will depend to a large extent what their school focus is and the actions that were recomended at the last inspection. Know what you do and why and know your data etc. Your HT is possibly the best person to ask. Have you an advisor to support you?

• 4 months later...

Can anyone on this page help me I have been reading all your comments and can see that it is going to be very difficult to get outstanding? Can any tell me what kind of things OFSTEAD look for in a foundation to make it outstanding? I have an interview next week and I have to present a 15 minute PowerPoint on

How I you ensure that the Foundation Stage is judged as outstanding by September 2014.

Can anyone help?

I am the foundation teacher in my school and we were judged to be outstanding in October ... I can only tell from my experience what the inspectors were looking for.... But they have a criteria when the phonecall comes and I think it depends on your inspector. A majority of the lessons they observe need to be mostly graded as outstanding. They didn't look at my planning, in fact told us not to do any!!!! And they weren't interested in child initiated - they were very keen to watch phonics though. For me it was all about data, parent voice and child voice. My data had to show that it had followed an upward trend since the last inspection and they had to see that a majority of children coming in on an average points score were leaving either as the same or above ( they asked for this in percentages) they also wanted to see that my high achievers were being catered for. They looked through their learning journals for evidence of parent voice, luckily I had plenty as I had involved the parents in planning our topic at the beginning of term. But if I'm honest in my interview it was all about the data - and when there were no 9's she needed to me to explain why.

Every inspection is unique - but mine was very data based. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Nicky

(I am happy to share with you some of the things we did to get us from satisfactory at the last inspection to outstanding now but I don't want to bore everyone!! So if you personal message me I would be happy to help - n)

Edited by nickynooblue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)