Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff In Out Of School Club

SLIMBRIDGE

I wonder if someone could help me? We are planning to have an out of school club at the school where I work from 3-5.30. This will be in the school hall and will include children from 4-11. On some days it may also include children from the pre-school (3 years and up). I'm unsure about the qualifications staff need. Looking at the statutory guidance it seems to say that if EYFS children are included there needs to be a Level 3 member of staff and a 1:8 ratio. There will be teachers on site (in rooms off the hall), so does this still apply? Or could you have Level 2 staff with teachers on hand? Any advice much appreciated!

I manage an after school club which is run by the school and so as such is part of the school.

Teachers who are on site do not at any time class into the ratios/ qualifications of the staff.

We take 3 -11 years old and my supervisor is a level 3,

My other staff are level 3, a HLTA, and one lady with no qualifications to do with child care.

Ratios for under 8's are counted as 1:8 there is no specific ratio for the children over 8 just a need to be sensible/ safe.

Hope this helps!

Hi

I think you would need to have a minimum level 3 and a level 2 practitioner, with a full and relevant Early Years qualification, or more depending on your ratios. The pre-school children would need to be maintained in the appropriate ratios for their age. The CWDC website qualifications list explains what a full and relevant qualification is. So you can type in the qualifications of your prospective staff and see if they qualify. These practitioners have to be working directly with the children so it's not enough that there are teachers on site.

Hi

Areyou going to be committee run or run by school and board of governors?

Hi Marley

I think it depends how it is run, either independently by the current ASC leader (if that's possible) as the current governers of the school run ASC are planning to make the staff redundant because they cannot continue to subsidize it to such an extent.

Or if we were to run it, we are a trustee managed setting.

Of course the next problem will be that we are only term-time at the moment and no doubt some parents will want a holiday club which the current ASC does for some weeks of the holidays.

• 3 months later...

Deb, just wondering how you got on. I also run a pre-school near to the school and I am considering expanding to offer after school club and possibly holiday club. From talking to parents there is a need as only one local nursery offer the same and they are not popular but I am worried that I am taking on too much.

Hi there

Turns out that the school are going to run a homework club so we do not need to be involved. Good luck with your venture. If I were going to do something like this I would make sure there was a definite need, sufficient to pay at least two members of staff or more dependent upon numbers. I would also charge enough to cover my costs, I think the school run club near us was too cheap, to try to pull in custom, but didn't charge enough in my view.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)