Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floors For Pre-school

We want to repalce our existing flooring and choose something to include and help children with additional needs especially those with sight difficulties can anybody help me after hour and hour surfing the net Im not getting anywhere :o

Hi Andrea,

This is not an area I have any experience in. Working in a village hall we just have to put up with what is there! The sorts of things I would think about if it were me would be

*how durable is it

*how easy to clean

*cost

*noise (hard surfaces and scraping chairs!)

*contrast (avoid highly patterned surfaces and make sure they contrast with the chairs/tables to make it easier for someone with a visual impairment)

This would lead me to think about some kind of hardwearing carpet. Good luck with your quest though and sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

Hi Andrea,

This is not an area I have any experience in.  Working in a village hall we just have to put up with what is there!  The sorts of things I would think about if it were me would be

*how durable is it

*how easy to clean

*cost

*noise (hard surfaces and scraping chairs!)

*contrast (avoid highly patterned surfaces and make sure they contrast with the chairs/tables to make it easier for someone with a visual impairment)

This would lead me to think about some kind of hardwearing carpet.  Good luck with your quest though and sorry I couldn't be more help. :)

34579[/snapback]

Hi Andrea, we have also had to make consideration of our flooring this year to meet the needs of those with a visual impariment (not that we have the funding for a refit....).

beau has covered some of the points already. Ill just add the lttle I know.

Contrast is realy important. If you have exisiting furniture, your flooring should contrast with this so that children (or adults) with a VI can see them. We have to get over this one by using coloured throws or paper on the table and/or flourescent table corners.

Avoid polished and surfaces that glare. These are incredibly difficult often painful if you have a child like we do with albinism.

Walls. We forget walls.. They must also contrast with the flooring. The bolder the contrast the better. Red is a good colour contrast for light colours like cream or beige but a lousy one against grey. Yellow is a good contrast for darker colours like browns and blacks. We have a very light coloured floor in our messy arae and sadly we have radiators all around the nursery which are white. To get around this problem we put deep red strips at the bottom of the radiators to distinguish horizontal from vertical surface.

Contrast your different areas if you are having different types of flooring eg a carpet area and a moppable floor area for messy stuff. If you cant do this, make sure there is a contrasting joining strip, preferably textured so that the VI person can feel it under their feet. Ideally a different texture to different surfaces would be great too.

Finally I would get advice from somewhere like RNIB who are brilliant.

Do let us know how you get on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)