Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ict Skills

[

Hello am currently undertaking my dissertation as part of my teacher training.

I've just spent this week in a reception class looking at the skills that chidlren have in using ICT. I wondered if any one out there could give me a brief overview of how they develop children's ict skills.

I've got a lot out of this week in school but feel I need to here how others are doing to get a broader picture. I'd be especially interested in how this is done in nursery.

Thank you

Pinkster

Hi. My name's Kirsty and I work in a Reception class. We have a progression of skills thoughout the Infant School I work in and so we have planning through the year to ensure children will have experience of all the relevant areas of ICT to enable them to build their skills. We demostrate each new program or skill to the class but the main basis is allowing all children to have time to explore the ICT resources (non-computer as well).

In general I have 2-3 focused tasks planned for each half term and the rest of the time is dedicated to letting the children explore programs selected to enhance their skills and understanding (Moles to develop mouse control, My World and Clicker4 to move text and graphics, etc). I have found that using this approach gives the children great confidence to 'have a go' as they do not feel they are being judged and it has also encouraged peer tutoring without any imput from me!! Descrete observation allows me to assess the children's progress and then I plan in more supported sessions for children who need that extra help.

The children then enter Year 1 with a great 'can do' attitude to ICT and are always keen to find out the answer to 'what happens if I ...?'

Thank's for the reply, that's about the same way as the teacher who i did my last TP did it. The very kind lady who let me do my research last week.

If anyone else has anything to add it would be much appreiciated!!

Pinkster

• 7 months later...

Hi Pinkster

I believe it is really important for children to gain transferable skills when using ICT. It is so difficult to do this with so many software packages which have very different interfaces. In my school we try to get software which is uncluttered, clear and will help children with the transition to more advanced packages. Beware of all the "bells and whistles" and buttons that don't need to be on the screen - they will just confuse the children and distract them from the task in hand.

:o

Kirsty and Koo, just thought I'd welcome you in, and thank you for your contributions.

we tend to find resourcing is our major issue, with only one computer for 39 children, its really difficult getting around everyone.

Hi Mundia

If the funds will stretch, you can pick up a very cheap (not new) computer from Tools 4 Schools ( I don't remember the website). What they do is get old business computers, wipe them clean and then sell them to schools at a fraction of the normal price. Or if you know of any local businesses who are getting rid of old computers, it might be worth approaching them. Thats how we got ours. :o

Hi

I'd just like to echo Mundia's welcome to Kirsty and Koo and apologise to Kirsty that no one has done so before hand!

Somehow your post has slipped through our net Kirsty. Hope you're still hiding out there somewhere and will post again. Your ICT work sounds very organised. Do you follow a scheme that you have such detailed skills?

Our ICT work has been very hit and miss since we had a suite installed and our computers networked. Lots of the things I was using were wiped and the replacements are no where near as easy to use!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! :D

This site is really fantastic! Each time I look at it, I keep finding more and more and have since entered the realms of non-ict subjects too!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)