Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sen In Foundation


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am attending a meeting at a local nursery school to discuss the best way forward for a September starter in Reception. The child in question was a premature birth and has a number of difficulties including hearing problems, visual problems, general immaturity etc. She will be 4 at the end of August.

Parents want entry to school to be deferred until September 2006. Has anyone come across this situation before?

 

Comments gratefully received!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were never able to do this, despite parental requests as LEAs stance was that school places could not be left empty if there were others on the waiting list and we were oversubscribed.

It is also sometimes quite difficult for the child socially when the peer group moves on and for this reason alone I would question the advisability of keeping a child out of year group. If, as it should be, the provision you offer in school is appropriate then it should not be inappropriate for the child to move on. It could be really difficult for this child to return to her year group and join the school in year1. If the parents are proposing that the child should always be out of year group then I believe they will need other evidence ie statements determining the provision. If that is already in place then there shouldnt be a problem!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mollywest.

Your paresnt are well within their rights to delay starting school until sept 2006 as the child will then be just 5. However they need to be made aware of the issues around this.

First the child would enter school in year 1, unless as Susan said there are very good reasn why not to, and at some point the child will have to join their peer group.

 

Second, the school cannot 'keep' the place for the child and therefore they run the risk if its an oversubsribed school, of not getting a place at all.

 

Third what provisison will there be for that child if they do not attend school for another year. eg can they remain at the nursery, thus filling a place there that should be allocated to someone else? Or will they stay at home and what implcations are there for the family there?

 

We also have an all spetemeber entry to reception but we have at times kept chidlren in the nursery for some or all of the day because we can meet there needs better that way. They do however still reamin on register in reception and are usually integrated into reception thought the year. The school should eb able to look at the child's needs and make appropriate the provisiosn to meet his/her needs. If teh child already has a statemenet this will be easier, if not you may have to complete the CRISP asap to get any support teh child may need.

 

let us know what hapens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Have just had this situation to deal with, although it was the school who wanted the child to start after easter. At the end of the day it's down to parental choice.

 

I agree with all the comments above regarding settling in/ social group etc. I would also highlight the fact that in our EYCS there is funding available for a non maintained pre-school during the interim period between a request for assesment and the statement being granted (this is avaliable till the end of foundation stage). But I have no idea if such funding exsists for maintained schools.

 

In my situation the school will take the child, request for formal assesment will begin september time. IEP targets have been set for parents to work with during the holidays. Hopefully it won't be long before funding comes through.

 

can you let us know what happens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am attending a meeting at a local nursery school  to discuss the best way forward for a September starter in Reception. The child in question was a premature birth and has a number of difficulties including hearing problems, visual problems, general immaturity etc. She will be 4 at the end of August.

Parents want entry to school to be deferred until September 2006. Has anyone come across this situation before?

 

Comments gratefully received!

34373[/snapback]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Molly west

We had the same situation this year.

I called the LEA admissions department (Brent) who told me that although we had to point out all the difficulties that would be encountered re. NC teaching etc. if the child was out of year, there was no reason not to do so if a meeting with all the professionals involved agreed to this. They checked with the DFE as well for me to ensure it was all O.K. and legal. There will be no question of the child having to enter Y1 and skip Reception, even if he is out of year.

Hope this helps,

Ruthanne :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have also had a child out of phase, the child had a statement and as part of the annual review it was recommeded he stay in the nursery another year. When he started school he went into reception. The school place in his year was filled by another child. He remained out of phase while he was at our school. This was quite easy to arrange as it had the backing of parents, HT and educational psychologist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)