Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rhyming Panic!

Hi all, I hope someone can help me!!

Im working in a reception class and I've introduced rhyming this week anmd todays session didnt go great!! tomorrow I have to try and put a focus on writing as I am getting observed by the head and my plan has gone to pot because they responded less well than I had hoped for!

Any suggestions would be great!

Jayne x

Sorry Jayne, I think you are going to have to give us more info than that to enable anyone to give you any meaningful help. You need to build on what you did today, even if you have to modify your planned objective and outcome.

ahh sorry I did it in kind of a hurry before my soup went everywhere in the microwave haha

well we played a quick fire game (I point to my nose and I say rose...) that went well and I reinforced that the children could identify rhyming pairs from an interactive game. we then attempted a rhyming string but this ended up taking the whole lesson and it didnt go too great :o I supported children in identifying that the initial sound can be changed etc but not many seemd to get it!

Stress!! haha

Jayne x

Children need to demonstrate awareness of rhyme (e.g. notice words sound the same) or alliteration (e.g. notice words start with the same sound) to achieve point 2 of LSL. Although continuing a rhyming string is a developmental possibilty in the early 40 - 60 band descriptors, as they are not an exhaustive list it isn't a requirement, nor does it stop a child achieving the scale point so I do worry when we get obsessed with rhyming stings, which I see all the time!!!

If they do not have the conceptual understanding of rhyme then rhyming strings will be a bit too challenging maybe. How are they with phase 1 elements of rhyme? Do you need to focus on changing rhymes in ones they know already to provide a context rather than having to say lists of words that are hard to think of on the spot?? They may just be overwhelmed by the task, rarther than not have the capacity to achieve the learning??

Cx

I love making 'Silly soup' :) I know its phase one but if they were struggling maybe you could do this and then ask them to draw then write two objects that rhyme?

Sorry not in Reception so not sure if thats the sort of thing you are after :) x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)