Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Public Blogs

Steve

Hi all -

Nice to see that some of you are starting to use the blog feature! :)

Currently the blogs are only visible to subscribing members. I was wondering whether users would like to make them visible to the outside world? This would mean that you could, for example, attach a link to it to a signature on your email, so that friends or relatives could go and have a look at your musings, photo's or whatever else you're using your blog for?

Private stuff would still be kept private if you leave it as a draft (this means only you can read it).

Let me know what you think!

Hi Chris -

Probably best just to direct you back to an earlier conversation about blogs, which seem to have passed many practitioners by (although they're big news in some places!). You can find the conversation here :)

Very briefly they allow you to put a kind of online diary and organiser together where you can record your feelings, ideas and discoveries (either for yourself alone, or for anyone else who might want to read them).

Some people manage to turn them into a very entertaining and useful webpage which becomes very popular. :)

Hi again -

Catma. I've updated the blog software, and this enables each FSF blogger to decide whether they would like members only to view their blog, or to allow any visitors or other friends to come and view it.

I haven't actually turned that on yet and won't until I can re-set everyone to a default of having it only available internally (which they can then re-set). but I thought people would like to know that that option will become available if they should wish to set it up! :)

OK chaps!

I've now made it possible for you to set your blogs to be visible to the outside world. I've also re-set everyone's blogs so that by default you're not visible to the outside world. (You can check this by logging out, then clicking the blogs link at the top of the page. Only mine at the moment should be visible to guests).

To make your blog visible to the big bad world all you need to do is visit your blog settings and check the 'allow guests to view your blog' box.

I've also set an alternative 'skin' up for the blog, which allows you to remove the FSF header and sidebar menu, and the footer at the bottom with copyright notices etc. This gives you a more neutral appearance if you wanted to make your blog more of an open webpage, and also gives the page more space - have a quick look at my blog to see the effect. If you also click the 'dynamic header box, you'll also get your name and description as an alternative header.

Hope all this brings out your creative juices! :)

cheers!! Will go look now. On a different note...where has the edit button gone?? Sometimes, well often I think of an adjustment to a post i have just posted and it was a handy little button to get rid of things that didn't read right or typos. CAn I just not see it now or has it gone???

I can't wait untill the holidays to have a go at "blogging" ( is that the right word???).

I really don't have time yet, although I have read a few and Beau's blog about life balance gives a lot of food for thought.

When I have had a go then I can answer your question Steve, as I'm not sure yet what I would be writing :o

Peggy

Look forward to it Peggy! It'll give you a place to permanently store all those lovely resources you upload. :D

Catma, thanks for reminding me! I removed the edit facility a while back (during an unusual dispute with someone who posted something, then edited their post to make it look as though they'd said something different).

But I think the option should exist, and I just haven't had time to re-instate it. I've now put it back, although the posts will now say whether or not they've been edited and by whom. Hope that's ok! :)