Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ke312 Open University

jennac

Hi all,

I have read on here a few comments about KE312. This is my last course studying with the OU. I have read reviews about the course on the OU website and just wanted a general picture of what the course is like and the dreaded exam. Like most OU courses there is alot of reading involved which has never bothered me. I passed EK311 with a grade 2 and really enjoyed that course, KE312 is approaching and Im really worried about the exam.

Anyone studied this course and passed the exam?

Hi

I'd be interested in any responses you get as I am also studying KE312 in February.

I dreaded the exam for ED209, having not taken an exam in years, but having passed this psychology exam I feel better equipped...I might not say that as we get into the course though :o . This will also be my first level 3 module.

Hopefully we will be able to find support on the Forum.

There have been a few prvious discussions on this course. I have copied a couple of my old replies and hope they help.

In August 2008 I wrote:

Hi

Maybe I can help a bit

I am currently studying KE312 with the OU. It is a brand new course presented for the first time this year.

When I first started with the OU back in 2003 a 'growing band' of students 'nagged' the OU to add more Early Years Courses. Previously EY study with the OU stopped at the Foundation degree but now you can go on to BA and BA (Hons) in Early Years.

If you want to do BA you need do KE312 as it is the compulsory level 3 course. If you wish to go on to achieve BA (hons) you need to do a further course EK311. EK311 is being presented for the first time in February 09 and I am registered to do it!! So all being well at the end of 2009 I will have a BA (Hons) in Early Years.

I am just about to tackle TMA 5. There are 6 in all and sadly there is also an exam for this course! I HATE exams but the reality is I suppose you can't get all the way to BA without an exam somewhere along the line! I am delighted that the new EK311 does not have an exam though

I am really enjoying KE312 - it is my first level 3 course and the standard of academic writing is 'up a notch' from level 2 courses but if I can do it then I am sure anyone can. The marking bands are slightly different not the 93,78,63 etc you might be used to in previous courses.

All TMA's are 2,000 words and for each one there is a choice of two questions. The course materials consist of learning guides and three course books. The learning guides are not provided in hard copies but are available on line ( I printed them off though as have a lot of other people) These are really clearly set out and not difficult to follow. There is an expectation that we will 'read round' the subject and not just rely on course material when writing assignments. There are also 4 tutor group forum discussions during the course but you are 'directed ' to these simply by following the learning guides/study calendar.

Not sure what else I can tell you but good luck with it and at least when you do it you will have our exam paper as a 'past example' for us it is all very new and there are no past papers to look at. They have given us a sample one though and it involves writing 3 essays in 3 hours. The paper has three parts A, B and C and each part has 3 questions , you have to choose one question from each part.

If I can help anymore just shout

In August 2011 I wrote

I bit the bullet and did it! My first exam in over 30 years and it was ok!

I guess you will be able to access past papers. OUSBA usually sell old papers and you can get them on line.

Apart from the obvious revision I would recommend that you practice writing against the clock - doing 3 essays in 3 hours is exhausting and the time literally flies by.

I used to take ages to write a TMA and was really worried about the exam but if I can do it then anyone can. I hate exams but there was no way around it, you can't get a BA without an exam somewhere along the line!

Might be worth having a wander and reading some of the other replies.

Good luck with your study and hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Hi there,

I too am interested in your comments about KE312 as I will be starting this module next month. As Deb said, I surprised myself and managed to pass the exam on ED209 having not taken written exams for many a long year. It is still a daunting prospect but I am really looking forward to the course.

Thanks for the advice.

Lesley

hi I am also starting this course in a feb and only found out a couple of weeks ago there was an exam at the end. Am dreading the exam only ever sat one and that was 25 years ago.

Got my foundation degree through Leeds met and finished last May. really sad but missed studying in a funny sort of way :o .

Anyway it sounds like there is a lot of us doing this with the OU four friends from the foundation degree are signed on fr this course.

Good luck to all hopefully will be able to get support from you all xD

Hi!

I did KE312 in 2009 and really enjoyed it, ending up with a Pass 2 and 80% in the exam! :o

I finished my degree with EK310 which has a project rather than an exam, and now wish I'd done it the other way round as I enjoyed KE312 but found EK310 really heavy going! xD

I did 3 exams in total for the courses for my degree and hadn't done any exams for about 25 years before that, but didn't find it too hard once I got going with the revision. Also, OU exams are brilliantly run and even allow you to nip to the loo if necessary!!

Don't stress about the exam - if you enjoy the course you won't struggle with an exam!

I am about to embark on EYPS!! Not sure how that will go.....!

Madmum

Hi

I'd be interested in any responses you get as I am also studying KE312 in February.

I dreaded the exam for ED209, having not taken an exam in years, but having passed this psychology exam I feel better equipped...I might not say that as we get into the course though :o . This will also be my first level 3 module.

Hopefully we will be able to find support on the Forum.

Hi sorry Ive only just got back to your post. I have just recieved the Ke312 materials. Have you received yours yet? The books look quite interesting

There have been a few prvious discussions on this course. I have copied a couple of my old replies and hope they help.

In August 2008 I wrote:

Hi

Maybe I can help a bit

I am currently studying KE312 with the OU. It is a brand new course presented for the first time this year.

When I first started with the OU back in 2003 a 'growing band' of students 'nagged' the OU to add more Early Years Courses. Previously EY study with the OU stopped at the Foundation degree but now you can go on to BA and BA (Hons) in Early Years.

If you want to do BA you need do KE312 as it is the compulsory level 3 course. If you wish to go on to achieve BA (hons) you need to do a further course EK311. EK311 is being presented for the first time in February 09 and I am registered to do it!! So all being well at the end of 2009 I will have a BA (Hons) in Early Years.

I am just about to tackle TMA 5. There are 6 in all and sadly there is also an exam for this course! I HATE exams but the reality is I suppose you can't get all the way to BA without an exam somewhere along the line! I am delighted that the new EK311 does not have an exam though

I am really enjoying KE312 - it is my first level 3 course and the standard of academic writing is 'up a notch' from level 2 courses but if I can do it then I am sure anyone can. The marking bands are slightly different not the 93,78,63 etc you might be used to in previous courses.

All TMA's are 2,000 words and for each one there is a choice of two questions. The course materials consist of learning guides and three course books. The learning guides are not provided in hard copies but are available on line ( I printed them off though as have a lot of other people) These are really clearly set out and not difficult to follow. There is an expectation that we will 'read round' the subject and not just rely on course material when writing assignments. There are also 4 tutor group forum discussions during the course but you are 'directed ' to these simply by following the learning guides/study calendar.

Not sure what else I can tell you but good luck with it and at least when you do it you will have our exam paper as a 'past example' for us it is all very new and there are no past papers to look at. They have given us a sample one though and it involves writing 3 essays in 3 hours. The paper has three parts A, B and C and each part has 3 questions , you have to choose one question from each part.

If I can help anymore just shout

In August 2011 I wrote

I bit the bullet and did it! My first exam in over 30 years and it was ok!

I guess you will be able to access past papers. OUSBA usually sell old papers and you can get them on line.

Apart from the obvious revision I would recommend that you practice writing against the clock - doing 3 essays in 3 hours is exhausting and the time literally flies by.

I used to take ages to write a TMA and was really worried about the exam but if I can do it then anyone can. I hate exams but there was no way around it, you can't get a BA without an exam somewhere along the line!

Might be worth having a wander and reading some of the other replies.

Good luck with your study and hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Thank you for finding these has given me lots of encouragement :o

Hi there,

I too am interested in your comments about KE312 as I will be starting this module next month. As Deb said, I surprised myself and managed to pass the exam on ED209 having not taken written exams for many a long year. It is still a daunting prospect but I am really looking forward to the course.

Thanks for the advice.

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Well if you need any help or support whilst we get through the course Im here to lend a helping hand x

I have just finished KE312 took the exam In October and got a very good pass...I really enjoyed this course. Hard work but meaningful especially in todays climate of cuts etc.

Thanks for this it makes me feel much more postive about the course! :o

Hi sorry Ive only just got back to your post. I have just recieved the Ke312 materials. Have you received yours yet? The books look quite interesting

Hi Jennac

Yes mine came today! I like the fact that we have study books, like we had on ED209, they are so much more portable!

Haven't had chance to really look at them yet though.

It's my day off tomorrow though so will have a browse then.

I did KE312 last year and really enjoyed it. I did find it difficult to study alongside a demanding full time job so you need to be organised but if you have studied with OU before you will know that anyway. It was very relevant and up to date and I feel I gained a lot from it. It is a level three course so the tma's were challenging but I still managed to achieve reasonable marks. The exam was also challenging but I had a family member seriously ill and wasn't able to revise as well as I wanted. However I still managed to achieve a good mark which I was really chuffed with. Basically you cannot cut any corners with this course because it will show in the exam so my advice would be to keep up with the schedule and ensure you revise well. I am a visual learner so I found that watching the DVDs over and over again and applying my studies to my own working experiences put me in excellent stead.

• 1 month later...

I am still sat here after many hours thinking what am I doing hAVE TO HAND IN MY ASSIGNMENT IN 11 DAYS AND CANT EVEN GET STARTED :mellow: .Am doing option 2 and cant get motivated to start.I think i cant do it anymore and it has made it harder not having to go to classes and doing it alone at home.Usually I know I have to start if im going into uni.

Tghe tutor confused me even more saying only to use the 3 books they have given us as it seems so different.

Anyway thanks for listening and i am going to start after tea

:D

Hi Jennac

Just found your post! Thank you for your offer of help - I will keep you in mind as we go on. Just about to tackle TMA01. I find the reading very interesting and have lots of ideas, which just need pinning down and formulating into a grown up assignment :D

Lesley

Hi MARYS

I always procastinate until I get so near the deadline that sheer fright and panic are the motivators - :o Do you have a copy of Writing your TMA (about 5 pages)? It gives some general guidelines. Also, our tutor said we could use other materials, but to make sure we referred to the books mainly. It may be a case of the blind leading the blind, but please feel free to PM me and we can discuss things further, using some of the notes I made at the tutorial. However, different tutors have different preferences....

Lesley

Hi Mary

You are not alone! Spent most of the day writing an introduction, and jotting down relevant points, beginning the long process of building up my essay, starting from not really knowing where to start to having too much to include... so only 1900 words to go!!! Don't feel like I have acheived much but it's a start. I'm doing option 2 too.

Look at the question carefully - I think the first sentence is quite important - about positive practice relationships.

Good luck.

Thanks ladies for all your replies and advice they are genuinely accepted. the question

"critically discuss the challenges involved in communicating and building relationships with children "

sounds really easy.However I keep going round in circles. I have a part plan done so I am going to start tomorrow evening after work and crack on (hopefully).Thanks for your advice and replies I feel a little better knowing im not on my own

Thanks again :D

Lesley I dont have a copy of writing your TMA were could I possibly get a copy?

heres hoping

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)