Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeast Hotel

Hi everybody,

As part of my PGCE I have to audit an area of provision and make an action plan to improve it. After discussion with the class teacher, she has asked that I look at the outdoor aarea. After a bit of surfing the web and going off on a tangent, I came across minibeast hotels or bug hotels. I just wondered if anybody had made one and how successful they were. Also is there a time of year when it is best to be made. I thought that this could be a start as there are no places to find minibeasts at presen,t as the main grounds comprise of soft surface and paving slabs. Any help or other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Trasong

Edited by trasong

Hi

In our pre-school we have a very simple mini-beast hotel against a brick wall on soil with two sides and a roof made out of planks of wood in which logs have simply been stacked. The depth of the planks of wood should be around the same size as the logs.

The children enjoy exploring all the minibeasts they find, especially the ones on the chart next to the hotel. They also love taking all the logs out, often transporting them to another part of the garden, great way to learn about weight and size whilst developing those large muscles. We do say that if they take them out they need to put them back when they have finished so that the mini-beasts have somewhere to sleep!

Visit My Website

I came across this old t.v. programme with ideas for wildlife areas. I have a picture which was obviously downloaded from this site, but after a quick look I can't locate it, maybe you would have more luck.

The photo I have is of a mini-beast mansion. It is 5 wooden pallets stacked on top of each other and on each level there is a bit of straw, hay, dead woods and dry sticks, plant pots tucked in, sticks of bamboo, stones, bricks and old clay roof tiles, fir cones, dry leaves and bits of bark. On the other side of the photo there is a simple toad abode. which is a large plant pot on its side in a scraped out dip, it says face the mouth of the pot south. Cover the inside and surrounding ground with dead leaves, moist moss or mulch. I'll see if I can scan the picture into the computer.

Toad_home.pdf

minibeastmansion.pdf

Edited by Panders

Visit My Website

I came across this old t.v. programme with ideas for wildlife areas. I have a picture which was obviously downloaded from this site, but after a quick look I can't locate it, maybe you would have more luck.

The photo I have is of a mini-beast mansion. It is 5 wooden pallets stacked on top of each other and on each level there is a bit of straw, hay, dead woods and dry sticks, plant pots tucked in, sticks of bamboo, stones, bricks and old clay roof tiles, fir cones, dry leaves and bits of bark. On the other side of the photo there is a simple toad abode. which is a large plant pot on its side in a scraped out dip, it says face the mouth of the pot south. Cover the inside and surrounding ground with dead leaves, moist moss or mulch. I'll see if I can scan the picture into the computer.

Thanks for the replies, that's great! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)