Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calculation (nursery)

I am not very good at thinking of ideas for calculation - unfortunately this is reflected in the children's learning journeys which have gaps in this area. So, I need to provide greater opportunities for the children.

I know that it is not necessary to link activities to our topic of 'Bags and boxes' but I would like to, if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas to get me started?

Anything appreciated!

And aren't I sad working on a bank holiday? xD I am on my own - my husband had to work today and there is only a week left before we're back to the normal routine - and so much to do in the meantime!

Happy New Year everyone!! :o

X

I'm in pre-school so don't know if this would be of any help, but I collected an interesting selection of little bags, gift boxes, see through felt tip cases and have a selection of objects to fit inside, lots of keyrings (Toy Story Characters), shiny pebbles, erasers, pen tops, and the children like to go through and find out how many there are in the different bags and boxes etc., they then match the amount to a number card, could you extend that idea to meet your needs? Could they have to find the right number of somethings to share amongst some teddies, so they share equally.

I don't think it sad to be working - we must take the opportunities as they arise sometimes, it will free up some time when your husband is with you to spend time with him.

I'm in pre-school so don't know if this would be of any help, but I collected an interesting selection of little bags, gift boxes, see through felt tip cases and have a selection of objects to fit inside, lots of keyrings (Toy Story Characters), shiny pebbles, erasers, pen tops, and the children like to go through and find out how many there are in the different bags and boxes etc., they then match the amount to a number card, could you extend that idea to meet your needs? Could they have to find the right number of somethings to share amongst some teddies, so they share equally.

I don't think it sad to be working - we must take the opportunities as they arise sometimes, it will free up some time when your husband is with you to spend time with him.

Thank you Panders!

we sometimes use calculating when doing the register -only usually works on quiet days tho -or if split into small groups, we count how many children are on the carpet, then try and work out how many we would have if 'Billy' came in today. or how many grown ups are in the room -how many we would have if 'Jenny came in today'

or at snack time with number cards, how many more apples to make 3 ? if you ate 1 piece how many would you have left ?

using your bags and boxes theme - ask children to put a certain number of objects (cars etc ?) in a box -how many more to make 4 (for example) " if we add emilys box of cars and johns box of cars together how many cars will we have althogether ? "

our learning journeys tend to have gaps in the calculating area too - i think is a tricky concept for the little ones to grasp, we tend to concentrate on it a bit more during this term.

Edited by fimbo

You could try putting a certain number of objects into a box or bag in front of the children, then you secretly take some out, then reveal how many are left. The children have to work out how many you have taken out. It's also nice if you have a puppet taking the things out the box. The children can work out how many the mischievous puppet has stolen! This is nice as a quick adult led game for carpet time or for when the children are in small groups. I've tried it with older children using up to 10 objects and they loved it, but for younger children you could just use up to five.

A variation is let the children see how many objects you are taking out, then ask them to say how many are left in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
You could try putting a certain number of objects into a box or bag in front of the children, then you secretly take some out, then reveal how many are left. The children have to work out how many you have taken out. It's also nice if you have a puppet taking the things out the box. The children can work out how many the mischievous puppet has stolen! This is nice as a quick adult led game for carpet time or for when the children are in small groups. I've tried it with older children using up to 10 objects and they loved it, but for younger children you could just use up to five.

A variation is let the children see how many objects you are taking out, then ask them to say how many are left in the box.

Thank you Kariana and fimbo - that's really useful ideas. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)