Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

References

One of our mums who used to be employed at Nursery told me today she had applied for a teaching assistant post at a local school and I would be receiving a phone call for a reference. My understanding is that it is not a good idea to give verbal references but to state we will provide a written reference on request. Am I right? Although I have nothing to hide I am very reluctant to give a verbal reference which could be misinterpreted or I could get drawn into a conversation I don't want to have.

All comments gratefully received!

I would suggest you offer to confirm dates of employment with you and that you have no reason to consider this person is unsuitable for their job ( if this is the case). If they want more than this ask them to put their request in writing.

Deb W

Hi LJW

I think I would prefer to put a reference in writing rather than over the phone-as you say you could say one thing that is understood as something else. Obviously this could happen with a written reference as whatever you write could be open to interpretation but at least you have a record when it is written down. I would have thought that the school would prefer a written statement.

Linda

I totally agree that a reference should be in writing, several years ago i witnessed an ex employee taking her boss to court as she did not get a new job she applied for on the basis of a telephone reference. The boss was completley honest and everything she said about the ex employee could have been proven, but the judge decided it was unfair and the boss had to pay her ex employee thousands of pounds in compensation. :o

I just wish that thare could be a special rule between all childcare settings, i think we should all be able to phone each other up and have a good chat about staff without the fear of giving a bad reference, we all owe it to each other to praise the good staff and weed out the bad

• 4 weeks later...
I totally agree that a reference should be in writing, several years ago i witnessed an ex employee taking her boss to court as she did not get a new job she applied for on the basis of a telephone reference. The boss was completley honest and everything she said about the ex employee could have been proven, but the judge decided it was unfair and the boss had to pay her ex employee thousands of pounds in compensation. :o

I just wish that thare could be a special rule between all childcare settings, i think we should all be able to phone each other up and have a good chat about staff without the fear of giving a bad reference, we all owe it to each other to praise the good staff and weed out the bad

34208[/snapback]

it is my understanding that references, by law, are not allowed to be negative in any way. If you dont want to give some1 a good reference then u simple confirm that you employed them and the dates. That is probably why the judge ruled in favour of the ex employee.