Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mentioning Indivdual Pupils In Daily Planning

hi everyone, I hope everything is going well for you all during this busy term.

I have a quick question for you and hope some one can help me. I am a bit confused xD

i am a reception teacher and have been in reception for about 5 years now

We have had a visit from our sip recently and prior to this we have submitted planning to managment. We got feedback we were told we need to differentiate on our Areas of Learning planning and also mention pupils that are on Free school meals, who have english as an additional language and anyone we feel are underachieving and what we are doing for these children that may b different. (Apparenty the government are keen for this )

I am just wondering have others been asked to do this in their school?

I have always planned the areas with a focus and it is differenciation by outcome. And from this outcome planned further for the children as it is for the interest of the child/children. Also 80% of the work needs to be child - initiated for moderation purposes. We have been moderated in cluster groups and by external moderators and have always got great feedback.

I am just curious to see what others do and how you set out your planning? Have you all been asked to do this on your planning?

i just feel it contridicts what has been asked of us in EYFS/Profile or maybe I am wrong. Just would love to hear from other teachers about this matter and maybe see a few examples of planning if you are/aren't doing this?

Guest Pebble123

I do mention pupils names eg if we are doing colour mixing I will put who is interested in this , or if we are working on numbers 1 to 10 I will put who is not secure in this area, that type of thing.

Im sure I could do more though !

We have just recently had a staff meeting about achievement and progress and we talked about planning. Currently I include children on IEP's and the specific targets I am working on at particular times for those children. I also have specific times I work with EAL children and this has to be included.

As a result of the staff meeting we have been told we must have on the plans children who are underachieving/ not on target to achieve 78 points by the end of the year and what we are doing to help those children to make progress. This will be something I will look at at the beginning of next term.

Also 80% of the work needs to be child - initiated for moderation purposes.

It's a common misconception but for clarification:

Child initiated vs Adult initiated learning is a balance between the 2, so 50/50 on average as described in the EYFS guidance

It's the balance of the evidence that has to be the majority independent vs adult supported outcomes. But the children do not have to be self initiating 8o% of the time to achieve this.

Identifying your target groups as well as those who do less well compared to the rest is good practice really and I would expect practitioners to be able to describe the make up of their cohort in different ways....for example GRT children nationally do less well so if you had traveller children I would expect them to be a target group in terms of close focus on their progress. However this overarching information re the cohort wouldn't be essential for weekly plans necessarily......

As a result of the staff meeting we have been told we must have on the plans children who are underachieving/ not on target to achieve 78 points by the end of the year and what we are doing to help those children to make progress. This will be something I will look at at the beginning of next term.

That's the sort of thing our practitioners are starting to focus more on. Just be aware that from 2012 onwards there will be no 78 points etc as the EYFSP will be completely different in terms of data outcomes, so that style of target is only workable for the remainder of this academic year.

Cx

thanks guys for your responses. They were very helpful and have made me feel more at ease about the situation. If anyone has any examples of their planning format handy I would love to see it.

Evening,

I can't speak for everyone but I was asked to identify my vulnerable children on paper, this is primarily for tracking purposes - I then baselined my children, turned this to percentages and therefore we are able to track that these children are making good enough progress when we look at their profile points . Incidentally in our ofsted in september this is exactly what they were looking for - they wanted to track one vulnerable child from reception through to year 6.

I have just read it back and it seems a little confusing so I hopefully this will help...

I have two children in my class that can be classed as vulnerable - this equates to 14% of class - they have arrived at school with at least the first three early learning goals so what am I doing to ensure that as they have arrived as 'average' children that they leave as average of above. My raise online data should show that my a vulnerable children have accessed the curriculum as well as those who are not vulnerable and that 14% should achieve 6 or more early learning goals.

I hope this is a little clearer!

Nicky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)