Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Questions Autism

Hi I know many of you are experienced working with children who have autism so I am hoping that someone could help me with interview questions that is different from the normal ones, and will make candidates think. I dont know if I have phrased it the right way.

Thank you very much.

I don't know how much experience these candidates are expected to have so it's difficult to gauge.

How might you be able to tell that a child with Autism is feeling anxious or unhappy?

What is a child looking for if he/she asks the same question repeatedly despite receiving an answer each time and how would you respond after the 20th time? I would need to hear that this is due to a need for security and that they would keep offering the same answer alongside looking for a way to offer reassurance.

How do you think a child's deep interests can affect his or her opportunities to learn?

I think I'd need to hear at some point in the interview that generalisations cannot be made about children with Autism and the only way to meet a child's needs is to know him or her well. I know I'm speaking as a parent rather than a professional but I am staggered by the number of professionals I have come across who think they know all about Autism because they have learned a few facts with relate to one or two children or they have believed the myths about no eye contact and savants.

I don't know how much experience these candidates are expected to have so it's difficult to gauge.

How might you be able to tell that a child with Autism is feeling anxious or unhappy?

What is a child looking for if he/she asks the same question repeatedly despite receiving an answer each time and how would you respond after the 20th time? I would need to hear that this is due to a need for security and that they would keep offering the same answer alongside looking for a way to offer reassurance.

How do you think a child's deep interests can affect his or her opportunities to learn?

I think I'd need to hear at some point in the interview that generalisations cannot be made about children with Autism and the only way to meet a child's needs is to know him or her well. I know I'm speaking as a parent rather than a professional but I am staggered by the number of professionals I have come across who think they know all about Autism because they have learned a few facts with relate to one or two children or they have believed the myths about no eye contact and savants.

thank you very much I particularly like the questions one that is one that I will definitely use. I totally agree with your comments that is the reason I was asking, I have spent my career working with autism and you really need to get every child as an individual, get to know them and how they function to be able to support their learning and sensory needs, and you are so right about seeing beyond the myths.. Thank you so much I will be using these.