Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Ideas Please

Hi

New to this!

Can anyone give me ideas for interesting mini topics that i can use with a pre- reception class that we are setting up at my school. Children will be rising 4. We already cover minibeasts and toys in Reception which are great but i don't want to overlap. I would also be interested in topics from stories.

Oh, loads!!!

Hungry Caterpillar - of course!!

Rainbow Fish - ditto

Bear Hunt - ditto

Elmer - lots of PSE!! - ditto

OK, there are more, but I'm tired.......TOO HOT !!!

Sue :D

:) Thanks sue

do you know of any good planning websites. I need to find examples of foundation stage plans to get to grips with. i work in an independent school and we are just dipping into foundation stage..... slowly!!!!

Handa's Surprise is a good one. Link to The Shopping Basket & Avocado Baby, or use all as part of a topic on food. You can look at journeys with TSB and have your area set up for writing shopping lists. You can examine cultural/climatic differences etc. with HS. It's quite nice to use these stories as part of a series of sessions which includes using ALL the senses to investigate different foods - especially fruit, as it's healthy (although not many fruits sound very interesting - can only think of coconuts).

Other possible topics can be found in various books - I use Themes for Early Years, which include colours, growing, homes, myself, pets, shapes & toys. We also do topics linked to the seasons and special calendar events. Have recently done 'weather' and 'water' and am now doing 'journeys'.

:o

Good luck!

Dear Mottie

Welcome - you will find lots of people here with useful ideas - I use loads - its really good to share these with others - makes life a little more interesting and saves having to think up original ideas all the time. I saw Sue sent you a personal message so I will assume you have plenty of ideas now to get you started -

Nikki

Hi Mottie,

Welcome to the forum. :) Have a good look around and you will find lots of examples of planning which very kind people have donated. Unfortunately it's not something I can help with as I work to a different curriculum. There was a recent topic about planning from stories which you can find here. Have a look through the topics and ideas section on the site too - you will find lots of inspiring ideas there to get you started. :D

In reception we do topics on

Teddy bears

The jolly postman

Rosies walk

Myself

water

nursery rhymes

take one picture- national gallery

colour

we do a two year topic cycle and i can't think of the others at the mo.

L

Books are a great starting point, as lots of people have suggested.

Just remember to do it in context for the age of the children and make it 'real' to reflect the interests and cultures of those you are working with.

Jolly Postman is another good one that can encourage communication, trips to the post box and a postman/woman can visit - great fun!

:D

Hi Mottie,

I'm in an independent school as well so really emphasised with your post!!!!!!

Have found books such as Kipper's Toybox, Can't You Sleep Little Bear? and Wher's My Teddy? good with my Nursery 1 children

Barb

• 4 months later...
Handa's Surprise is a good one. Link to The Shopping Basket & Avocado Baby, or use all as part of a topic on food. You can look at journeys with TSB and have your area set up for writing shopping lists. You can examine cultural/climatic differences etc. with HS. It's quite nice to use these stories as part of a series of sessions which includes using ALL the senses to investigate different foods - especially fruit, as it's healthy (although not many fruits sound very interesting - can only think of coconuts).

Other possible topics can be found in various books - I use Themes for Early Years, which include colours, growing, homes, myself, pets, shapes & toys. We also do topics linked to the seasons and special calendar events. Have recently done 'weather' and 'water' and am now doing 'journeys'.

:o

Good luck!

34067[/snapback]

Hi Would it be possible if u gave me some ideas on the topic of journeys as im an NQT and I need help. Thanks

Zainab

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)