Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next Steps Following Observations

Hi,

I'm sitting here writing the 'next steps' on the long observations done last week and I'm questioning whether what we are writing is 'correct'. In the next steps box we tend to write what we need to do to develop that child's learning, based on our assessment of the child' learning. So, basically answering the question 'what do we need to do next for this child as regards the environment, the provision, the staffing, the interactions?'. E.g. Introduce x to different tools for joining materials, model their correct use and encourage x to hand them carefully and use their correct names e.g. hole-punch and treasury tags, split pins, elastic bands. Then on the planning we write the actual specific thing that we are going to do if it needs specifying further. We don't always write what the actual next step 'objective' is, if that makes sense. Is this how other's do it? I know that some people are not doing long observations anymore or as much?

Thanks, Green Hippo x

We tend to be much more general with our next steps and maybe look at particular areas for the child to develop in rather than specifics. So a child for whom I have observed emergent counting might have PSRN as a next step so that I can look at calculating and shape space and measures as well as supporting further counting. These are planned over a half term and I pencil in activities into the weekly plans when I have a space as well as focussing on these during small group time or free flow play with this child, at the end of each half term I review and note any advancement in PSRN on the report to parents and look at my obs to see what the next area to develop will be.

Hi ,

i use to do long obs ( 10 mins) and then add next steps which would be from developemental matters as an objective, this was at a previous place and you will notice I too have posted and asked on here for help and ideas from how other settings do theirs, i know ofsted want to see on planning specific childrens name and how planning has been focused for this.

Lashes

Thanks for your replies. It's interesting to find out how others work.

Lashes: We recently had OFSTED (although I was still on maternity leave) and what they were looking were - like you said - individual children's names on planning for you to target. From what I can gather, they were not overly interested in the long observations, more that we were using our assessment of the children to inform what individual children need next.

I know of a setting who consistently get Outstanding and don't do any long observations or individual plans. What they do is identify children who need extra support (or pushing further) in different areas and show in their planning how they are catering differently for these children.

We use our long observations to give us an extra insight into children's development and then we make sure they have something individual for them in the following week.

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)