Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Again

Well you were all such a help with my last interviews i'm back again with the next two, at least I know my applications ok.

Right I have been given this information:

Introduction: 10 mins Count one less than a given number

Main:Use coins to pay for different amounts (20 mins) - (Using 1p & 2p coins only)

I have 16 children no support and obviously no idea what level they are at.

Help this seems really formal for reception and much more structured than any of the other interviews I have done any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

Hi

Can you call the school to find out what they have done previously on money, so you have an idea where to go from?

Also is numicon available? Have they used it to help understand 1p and 2p?

Need to think of ideas for money, obviously role play shop comes to mind but do you have resources to take in? What about IWB use?

Keep calm and get ideas together first

G

I've just done a lesson on coins, using 1p and 2p coins with reception for my placement and the one thing that really got their attention was each being able to handle real coins. Might just be the area I was working in but I got the impression that they don't see real cash very often. Having a selection of coins for each child kept them engaged.

Thank you for moving it to the right place :o

Right this is what I have come up with, intro 10 mins: quick count 1-10 and back counting hops/jumps, 5 current buns concentrating on the one less aspect. Count out a number of dinosaurs cover with a tray and remove one can thr children tell me how many now without seeing them. Check by counting. Not sure if this is too much for intro.

Main: Using large teaching coins discuss with children how to add 2ps etc by touching twice. I will then split the group in two; 8 to work with me buying Teddys from my shop using real coins.

The other 8 will work with a partner to select items from a shopping list and count out the right money.

I will then swap the groups over.

What do you think too much?

Not enough?

I think money is a hard thing to teach when you know your own class let alone going into a class you don't know.

Can anyone else sense my panic!!!

Hey quite similar to my lesson! For the children I was teaching I would have kept the theme, for want of a better word, to just the currant buns and coins, as introducing dinosaurs with my lot would have been too distracting. I used the currant buns for the main activity too, getting the children to buy them and find the right coins for the prices. I'm only learning at the moment but the introduction part might be a bit long - well it would have been for the children I was with certainly. I also found some big print outs of 1p, 2p and 5p coins on this website

http://www.senteacher.org/

which helped the children with identifying which coin was which. We spent some time on that, noting that the 1p coin had a 1 on it, etc, but be sure to find "old" coins which look like those on the printouts.

Hey quite similar to my lesson! For the children I was teaching I would have kept the theme, for want of a better word, to just the currant buns and coins, as introducing dinosaurs with my lot would have been too distracting. I used the currant buns for the main activity too, getting the children to buy them and find the right coins for the prices. I'm only learning at the moment but the introduction part might be a bit long - well it would have been for the children I was with certainly. I also found some big print outs of 1p, 2p and 5p coins on this website

http://www.senteacher.org/

which helped the children with identifying which coin was which. We spent some time on that, noting that the 1p coin had a 1 on it, etc, but be sure to find "old" coins which look like those on the printouts.

Yeah I can see that I might just hide the current buns, its a bit tricky not knowing the children. I have some large coins to demonstrate the adding as we only using 1s&2s. I think they have thrown me using two different walts, I have taught in nursery for a long time so bit worried about not challenging enough.

What you have been asked to do is very similar to what the reception teacher wanted me to cover. I'm also preschool/nursery experienced (PVI) and I think some of the teaching on my placement was a bit low level but then again it worked as they were all very engaged and I could add extensions on the fly as it were. Bit more difficult for you as it's an interview and mine was a formative placement, but good luck!

With the introduction I would say you could always cut something out if you felt it was taking too long. You have got a lot in there so you could miss bits out if you needed to move on. Remember you will need time to explain to the children what they are doing with their partner and perhaps demonstrate it to them and you don't want them sitting for too long.

Good luck, I'm having an interview observation too and I'm stressing because they haven't given me an objective. I guess either way is stressful!

With the introduction I would say you could always cut something out if you felt it was taking too long. You have got a lot in there so you could miss bits out if you needed to move on. Remember you will need time to explain to the children what they are doing with their partner and perhaps demonstrate it to them and you don't want them sitting for too long.

Good luck, I'm having an interview observation too and I'm stressing because they haven't given me an objective. I guess either way is stressful!

Yeah good point about the sitting might just chop a bit out I can always explain why I did it in interview. Good luck with your interview too. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)