Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Mixed Aged Settings

Hi all asking advice from mixed aged setting we are a new preschool with children aged 2 to 3 years I am finding that the 3 year olds are getting frustrated with the younger children interrupting their play. We are a pack away setting in a large hall how do you organise your day keygroups any advice greatly appreciated. I was thinking of dividing the hall in two and having the three year olds in one half and two year olds in the other but dont know if this was achievable.

I would imagine that as you are a new preschool then you haven't really had the time for 'long term routines' to fall in place?

I think, that as time passes you will find the older age group 'train' up the younger!!! For example this years youngers, will be next years olders - they will know all rountines and be far more tolarant/understanding of the new intake. (Hard to expalin but does work - honestly!)

We have lots of dividers, and always insure we have lots of resources aimed at the 2y olds. We also ensure that things like the train sets etc are well stocked to enable focused playing by the olders + plus enough room for the younger to just 'play' as they like to - which migh include just packing it all in boxes.

I love having the mixed ages ... and it alway surprises me just how capable many of the younger ones actually are.

I would imagine that as you are a new preschool then you haven't really had the time for 'long term routines' to fall in place?

I think, that as time passes you will find the older age group 'train' up the younger!!! For example this years youngers, will be next years olders - they will know all rountines and be far more tolarant/understanding of the new intake. (Hard to expalin but does work - honestly!)

We have lots of dividers, and always insure we have lots of resources aimed at the 2y olds. We also ensure that things like the train sets etc are well stocked to enable focused playing by the olders + plus enough room for the younger to just 'play' as they like to - which migh include just packing it all in boxes.

I love having the mixed ages ... and it alway surprises me just how capable many of the younger ones actually are.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)