Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thinking Questions

Hi everyone,

I am being observed tomorrow in year 1. I will be doing a phonics session and have planned this and feel as ready as I can be. The session I will be observed taking will be the first session of the day and I will need to take the register. The children in my class are not great at coming in on time, some arrive at 10 to 9 and others after 9. This part of the day feels like wasted time with those who arrive early just sitting waiting for others. Do any of you have any great ides of things I can do with the children whilst waiting to do the register time fillers really. I was thinking of having a question on the IWB for them to think about but I cannot think of a suitable one. We need a question that encourages children to think, but we have no time to discuss it after as we will then be moving on to phonics! So I'm looking for a question or brain teaser that will occupy the chidren but that we can then look at together and answer quickly as time is short. Any ideas, or question suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What about a question that recalls yesterdays phonics? So 'how many words can you think of with the sh sound in them/that begin with p?' or whatever might be relevant to your phonics. This will have a link to phonics then so the issue of having to move on to phonics will not arise. I would be wary of going for anything more difficult if this is the first time you've introduced this to the children. Observations are not usually the best time to introduce a new aspect to the day's routine.

What time does school start and registration finish?

Once the registration period is done then I wouldn't be waiting for children to arrive - I'd be getting on with the lesson! Prompt starts are important I think and if the parents think that they can float in at any time then it doesn't set the tone for punctuality!

However a review question would be good, or a picture that you can pose "think about" questions that promote thinking in terms of inference and deduction, such as why is the boy smiling..........

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

Too late for you now but I have old calendar pictures or the big picture from the Guardian (if suitable)that I stick up on the board for the children to look at and answer questions or indeed ask questions.

If the observer saw the children coming in late then it will be flagged up for management as it is not your fault thatthey are coming in late ...we call it slippage!...it is for the management and governors to sort out .....perhaps school should have assembly first thing and then it won't affect the teaching?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)