Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play Help!

Hi everyone,

We have an outdoor space with nursery and reception. Both freeflow at the same time as Nursery only have 2 staff for 26 ch'd so they have 1 in and 1 out . Outside 1 adult supports play and the other leads active play activities. We have all areas for provision and no matter what exciting activites we have on offer all the boys seem to want to do is run about in roleplay. Unfortunately our space isnt big enough for that type of active play-we use bigger spaces for physical activity during the week. I am now trying crack down on them but at the same time I feel that they need this release.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any ideas, suggestions please!

Thanks

can you do something really motivating for them...hammers and nails/technical challenge(make a boat to float a marshmallow across the shark infested sea!) if they are good at role play can you use that to your advantage....set up a story where they have to design a map to follow or find a hidden object or clues. I guess what i'm saying is that you need to find a way to engage and use that energy...think like a boy!! what do they like to do inside?? can you take it outside and extend (trains and tunnels a favourite at the moment!)

can you do something really motivating for them...hammers and nails/technical challenge(make a boat to float a marshmallow across the shark infested sea!) if they are good at role play can you use that to your advantage....set up a story where they have to design a map to follow or find a hidden object or clues. I guess what i'm saying is that you need to find a way to engage and use that energy...think like a boy!! what do they like to do inside?? can you take it outside and extend (trains and tunnels a favourite at the moment!)

I'm with Finleysmaid find activities for boys so digging pit in old tyres, dens to make with old clothes airers and material, tough spot (builders tray), whittling with potato peelers to then mark make in the mud or sand etc. There is a great doc on TES here

http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Tuf...-ideas-3002014/

bubbles with giant bubble makers, competitions and have a board to writte down the winners etc etc etc.

Lorna

I'm with Finleysmaid find activities for boys so digging pit in old tyres, dens to make with old clothes airers and material, tough spot (builders tray), whittling with potato peelers to then mark make in the mud or sand etc. There is a great doc on TES here

http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Tuf...-ideas-3002014/

bubbles with giant bubble makers, competitions and have a board to writte down the winners etc etc etc.

Lorna

Hi, we do lots of these activities in the tuff spots, have a large digging pit, use old tyres and planks to construct which has all worked well in the past but this year they are simply not interested. Think I might have to go and buy some ben 10 figures and put them in the sand. And I'll definately try and plan for some technical challenges with mallets.

Thanks for all your ideas and replies.

We use 'superhero missions' printed from sparklebox with great effect. These are a series of scenarios for superheros which challenge the children to prepare for and execute different missions, our band of heroes love to write plans, draw maps, gather props , designate roles and then carry out the missions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)