Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Lesson Observation

Hello All,

I am being observed on Friday by the head as part of pre ofsted monitering. Any ideas linking christmas to CLL or PSRN in an outstanding way!! I am thinking for CLL to do a voki of Santa has lost rudplph, children have to make a lost poster, look for him in outdoor area hunting for clues and write to santa to say don't worry we're looking for him. Just not sure how to make this WOW! For PSRN thought could link to 12 days of christmas or advent as lesson is on 1st December.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated

Thank you :o

Guest tinkerbell

I am also being observed this week ,on Tuesday .This will be by the new headteacher and her mentor ! They are observing each class.The headteacher has given us the new 2012 oftsed observation sheet which they will be using. My concern is I would prefer to be judged on Early years criteria and am wondering if anyone has the ofsted 2012 early years observation sheet???

I have an old one and will give them that if I cannot get hold of it (if it exists?)

I will be working on the Nativity

we will have a stable (setting it up tomorrow) with role play clothes ,mary,joseph,kings ,shepherds and angels

small world nativity in sand tray

iwb phonics

creative table,junk modelling 'can they make an angel/' ( enhancements,silver foil,tinsel,doilies,etc)

lovely picture bibles in reading area

etc

Tinkerbell

Be really clear about the learning you want to be happening and then see if the context of christmas is appropriate for developing an activity around to make the learning playful yet challenging. This is what helps build to an outstanding lesson.

Cx

Thank you for that advice! Think I will rethink my learning objective as at the moment think I'm focusing on just getting them engaged and writing! Tinkerbelle we are being assessed on ofsted form too and i too wish it was early years based as feel some things aren't relevant such as children writing feedback to their marking in books!

Hope yours went well today :)

Hi lulubelle

we had an observation last week by our head too stressful isnt it, even though we know what were doing and have been doing it for years we still panic. Our focus from the head was writing. The reception teacher in our setting chose to link it to christmas, I on the other hand did a focused activity in the continuous provision. The reception teacher during wholeclass had a puppet called Ben and a bag of shopping. she explained to the children that she had been christmas shopping for presents and ben could choose one present to have for christmas. In the bag were toys such as e.g ben ten, pen, doll, ball etc words the children would be able to write. She picked a different child to pull out each toy and together they wrote and spelt out the words on the board focusing on letter formation etc. She then asked the children to think about what toy they would like to have out of the presents in the bag and then during guided write they had to write a list to santa of what they wanted (i think this is pretty much how it went) It was a nice activity and the children really enjoyed it. hope this helps.

kate :o

Hi Kate,

That's a lovely idea! I have now planned lesson but will use that next week when we write xmas lists. I am doing santa has lost his sack! We look for it and find 3 in our classroom, looking at items they have to decide which is his and why by discussing the objects found. I'm using a video message (voki) of santa that says if they find it they must write back to stop him worrying which will hopefully engage them into the task. Then using special santa paper we will write a letter to him using 'to' and 'from'. I am completely panicing still about it, observations just don't get any easier!

Thank you for that great lesson idea!

Lulu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)