Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

From Committee To School Run

Hi all

Well looks like the school club will be moving to be taken over by school ie board of governors. I know this therefore means that it will come under the schools ofsted.

Just wondered if anyone knew about registration, rooms and numbers of children?

At the moment we have use of 2 rooms and are registered under the 3 registers ie Eys, compulsary and voluntary for 48 children. Does this registration still apply when school takes it on or can they determine own numbers use all available rooms?

Its just that last week reading my local ofsted reports there was one for the primary school and one for the school run club. When i loooked at each report they were identical and all it said for the club was 1 sentence. Now ofsted have removed the school club one and all i can find is the school one. I have managed to download a doc from ofsted that tells you when you have to register with them and if you are run by board of gov and have at least one child attending that attends the school you do not need to register.

Does anyone else know anything.

Thanks

Hi

On a registering with OFSTED doc I found this...

When you do not need to register with us

At least one child attending the childcare is a pupil of the school

A pupil is someone who is on the school’s register, which schools must have under the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006. They have been accepted on your roll in line with your admission arrangements which you have agreed with your local authority. Provision that has at least one registered pupil aged three or over does not come under the Early Years Register and the Childcare Register where the childcare is provided directly by the school.

So registration not required but unsure if the stipulation about numbers etc still apply.

Our pre-school and extended school provision was taken over by our school. Earlier in the year we had so many children on our waiting list they let us use a classroom in the school to extend numbers. When we contacted Ofsed they told us we no longer had our own reg. number as we came under the school. They didn't want to come and inspect the premises and didn't stipulate numbers. We have since moved into a new building and have set our own numbers. Obviously we keep to EYFS ratios. We only take from age 3 in breakfast/after school/holiday clubs so stick to 1:8 across the board even if we have over 8s.

We had an Ofsted inspection last week and they either weren't bothered or were happy with what they saw in paperwork as they didn't ask ANYTHING and simply asked to see the toilets for ASC!!

Hi Hello kitty!

That is exactly as i thought it would be! Seems strange to go from all the usual restrictions to nothing! Of course we would stick to the ratios as we do now but it would be nice to be able to use other available rooms in the school without change to registration.

How long did it take for school to take over the pre-school etc. Was it just decided on a date and it just went ahead? I presume we just inform OFSTED and tell them the club is no longer needs to be registered with them.

Did it affect anything else? Do you have your own policies still?

Any other advice appreciated as you are the first person I know that has done it!!!

Edited by marley

Unfortunately I can't help much as I came into post after they did it! They got a lot of advice from Pre-school Learning Alliance re: keeping constitution and staying a charity.

I think it was pretty much like you said - told Ofsted rather than asked :o

There's lots to consider regarding wages and whether you remain a charity...

I'll ask my administrator tomorrow as she dealt with it all!

Unfortunately I can't help much as I came into post after they did it! They got a lot of advice from Pre-school Learning Alliance re: keeping constitution and staying a charity.

I think it was pretty much like you said - told Ofsted rather than asked :o

There's lots to consider regarding wages and whether you remain a charity...

I'll ask my administrator tomorrow as she dealt with it all!

Thanks Kitty

The idea is that it is no longer a charity but that it is run by the school. Separate finances from the school so that it is not funded by school budget but that it makes enough through fees to cover costs ie like a charity. The whole idea is that it gets away from parents having to do it. What they will do is hire an exec manager to do all the things the committee do and to support staff. Really hopes that it doesnt take a long time to sort out.

Ours is run by a sub-committee of the governing body of the school.

Basically I manage the setting and am line managed by the Foundation Stage Co-ordinator then the Head and Deputy and we are all overseen by the GB.

Our finances are separate as you say and that is why we were advised to retain charity status to enable us to claim back VAT etc.

Ours is run by a sub-committee of the governing body of the school.

Basically I manage the setting and am line managed by the Foundation Stage Co-ordinator then the Head and Deputy and we are all overseen by the GB.

Our finances are separate as you say and that is why we were advised to retain charity status to enable us to claim back VAT etc.

Who does all the finances then? Is that your administrator? Do you still have your own banck account with signatories?

Who is responsible to the charity commission?

We too are going to have sub committee of board, plus the lady at school who deals with extended services and the head teacher.

Sorry! More questions. Its interesting how different places are run

Going back to my original post....have found the out of school OFSTED that was the school report, its a setting that is now listed as closed by OFSTED although it is under the schoool now.

We already had a book keeper and as luck would have it she works at school as well so has stayed :D

We do have our own bank account as well. It's nightmare if I buy food or resources as we have to claim the expenses back from the 'right' pot - pre-school, breakfast club, ASC or holiday club! I would like them all to be one pot now as we are all now in the same building we are sharing resources and food!