Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Area Fencing

Hi there.

We have recently set up a new nursery, and are currently developing our outdoor play area in order to improve our free flow. We have had a lovely shelter put up and are currently looking for fencing, due to the nursery sharing the playground with keystage 1.

For safeguarding reasons and for convenience we want a small fenced off area solely for the nursery.

The head has asked for temporary fencing (preferably picket), that can be taken down and stored away, when convenient. I personally prefer permanent.

I was wondering if any one could recommend any websites or traders to use?

Any information would be appreciated.

Sorry I can't help but as I was about to leave the page I wondered if your Head had contemplated the safeguarding issues surrounding temporary fencing which because it will be temporary surely means it can be moved/ taken down "escaped from!!!!!"

I think I cant imagine what will be temporary enough for the Head but will provide adequate safety!

I suppose your fenced off area might be within other school fencing?

I think some children will accept boundaries of any sort but some will actually need physical ones that stop them going anywhere.

Good luck hope someone can help you!!

We used expandable trellis fencing which we were able to fix to permanent structures (drain pipes, the verandah of our tiny play house and so on). When the trellis died I got a roll of the heavy duty garden netting (the type that is basically a wire mesh covered in heavy duty plastic so it was very rigid). We used lengths of velcro tape to fix it in place and it was pretty secure.

Will the children use this area unsupervised? If so then there is a heightened risk of children escaping out of their designated area - but if they did escape where would they get to? Generally if the outdoor area is well supervised the risk of children wandering off is probably quite low, especially if the team work closely with the children to understand why the barrier is there and why they need to stay in their own area.

If you don't have permanent structures that you can use as part of your boundary and therefore are unable to fix your fencing in place then there is the risk that they'll move about if children bump into them or push bikes into them or whatever. The vision I have in my head is a bit like a giant play pen type arrangement - it is hard to know what to suggest when we can't actually see your outside space!

I do remember SuzieC8 talking ages ago about metal fencing she had bought to define her outdoor area and it is possible that she said where she got them from. Might be worth doing a forum search to see.

Does the Head want it taken down at the end of each session or just have it so it COULD be removed? The fencing we have is metal and although the posts are fixed, the panels can be removed. They have been taken down at the moment to allow building vehicles and machinery through.

When I was looking for fencing I came across this site, I cannot recommend them as I did not order in the end (we have gone with fixed fencing), but they look quite sturdy, although they aren't fold away.

http://www.timberline.co.uk/index.php?mod=...&id_prd=304

also these but not so nice: http://www.playgroundmarkingsdirect.co.uk/...fence-3ft-high/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)