Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Here's A Challenge And A Half

Hello!

After a fab week exploring halloween, I spoke to my class (reception) on Friday about what they wanted to do this week - the children have been obsessed with Dr Who this week (the baddies like halloween i think!) so I want to go with this more but they all want to do some work on fireworks too! I am being observed tuesday so my question is... Do any of you wonderful people know how on earth I can link Dr Who and Fireworks into a WOW lesson starter?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Emie :)

First of all, does the observation have a focus, such as PSRN? Secondly, don't feel you have to get both into your actual starter/adult led section. Children's interests should be in evidence around the setting (Dr Who resources in the writing area, materials for creating fireworks etc) and teaching should follow children's interests but you can't always cover everything at once. Pick one to focus on, otherwise you could end up with tenuous links and observers and chikdren like can see through tenuous links a mile off!

That said, I'm sure the creative people on here can probably come up with some great activities involving both :o

First of all, does the observation have a focus, such as PSRN? Secondly, don't feel you have to get both into your actual starter/adult led section. Children's interests should be in evidence around the setting (Dr Who resources in the writing area, materials for creating fireworks etc) and teaching should follow children's interests but you can't always cover everything at once. Pick one to focus on, otherwise you could end up with tenuous links and observers and chikdren like can see through tenuous links a mile off!

That said, I'm sure the creative people on here can probably come up with some great activities involving both :o

Thanks, Kariana! The focus is CLL, I have just been thinking of doing a news report about a strange sighting caused by a firework explosion on the school yard, and then going out and finding a tardis so I thought my children (adult led) could complete their own news reports about whats happened! Hmmm not sure! I think the main challenge will be thinking ofthe things I put out for the child initiated learning.... :)

blimy! I would struggle to work that way. I use the children's interests to drive the main theme and we decide on a friday and from our observations about what to put out for their child initiated time but I don't use their interests to drive the CLL (all phonics at the moment)or the numeracy focus although I make links where I can. I cannot answer your question but I can tell you what we had out last week for child initiated with our firework theme last week (we are a c of e school so could not do anything halloween although I did get in some green zombie slime (gloop))

we had a dark den which had in it a range or torches, glow in the dark things and a range of light up toys

black paper and chalks on the creative table for firework pictures

writing table-drawing spirals with a felt tip and then gluing sequins on the line (v good for fine motor) also writing and decorating firework words like bang, pop, woosh etc

glittery playdough and firework mats

outside we had very messy splatty large firework pictures done with flinging tea bags dipped in paint.

construction-interstar and k'nex to make star shapes

on the maths table I put a sheet with pictures of sparklers with a number next to it and the children had to stick the correct number of stars on each sparkler.

we do writedance and so did it to Katy Perry and first danced with ribbons making firework shapes before we did large scale scrimbling to the music.

deb

Deb thank you! I'm just trying to do my planning for CI next week and am really struggling because the only thing anyone was interested in last week was Hallowe'en and like you I can't do it because we're a CofE school. However, I'm pretty sure after this weekend they'll be interested in fireworks so will use that. Thanks for all your great ideas - I especially love the sequins on spirals one!

This may link Dr Who and fireworks ... tho as a humble Graphic Designer, I'll leave how to link it into a class to the education professionals! :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/theadventuregames

Ook!

Hello!

After a fab week exploring halloween, I spoke to my class (reception) on Friday about what they wanted to do this week - the children have been obsessed with Dr Who this week (the baddies like halloween i think!) so I want to go with this more but they all want to do some work on fireworks too! I am being observed tuesday so my question is... Do any of you wonderful people know how on earth I can link Dr Who and Fireworks into a WOW lesson starter?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Emie :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)