Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sunsmart Policy Advice From Cancer Research

Yesterday I discovered www.sunsmart.org.uk which is part of Cancer Research. They have lots of fantastic info including a draft SunSmart policy for schools and nurseries to adopt plus lots of factsheets and worksheets. Recommend you take a look!

we have also just drawn up a sunsmart pollicy for our setting. my query now is....a local shopping center creche will not accept children who are wearing sun cream incase they come into contact with another child who suffers with nut allergies whilst playing and trigger an allergic reaction.

i have looked everywhere i can think of and can't find any evidence to support this approach. are the shopping center creche just being over cautious as they are looking after children they are not familiar with or can suncream that contains peanut oil trigger a reaction in a child who isn't wearing it?

Apologies if this appears twice - my first attempt appears to have vanished!

We have a child who suffers a serious reaction on coming into contact with certain sun products so I think there's reason for a degree of caution.

Having looked at the site, I noted that they recommend children should be out of the sun, indoors or under shade, between 11 & 3. It didn't seem to specify the time of the year. I wondered a) how realistic this is and :o how desirable when we're supposed to encourage children to be more active, and to make the indoor & outdoor 'classrooms' flow together as far as possible. I fully understand the concerns about young skin, the efficacy of sun products etc, but I think there are 2 sides to this.

As we don't have an outside play area that we can allow children to access as and when we have to go out all together-there is an enclosed garden at the front of church that we can use. We have, this year, changed the time we go out. Until now we always went out at about 11 o'clock for 20-30 minutes. We now do this first thing, at about 9.30. That way we miss the hotter sun times.

We ask parents to put suncream on their children and I admit I hadn't thought about the reaction question-must have a look at which have nut oil in them and recommend not to use them. We also ask parents to keep their child covered up as much as possible-t-shirts with sleeves rather than vest tops etc. We bought a supply of safari type caps last year which we use when we go out.

Linda

I agree that this is a tricky issue, when you consider we are supposed to let children have free access to outside. In our nursery we run 2 half day sessions: the morning children finish at 11.15, and have their free play time until 10.15, so in theory they should be fine to go outside. However, my afternoon children are in between 12.30 and 3.00, which would suggest that they shouldn't be allowed outside. British weather being what it is (especially at this time of the year!) the weather won't be right for being outside until September (we do go outside when it's rainy, but the children tend to object - "YUK! It's raining!" :o - and all go in anyway - they're just not used to it!)

Will definitely look up the website - thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)