Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Construction Area

Hi all,

I'm trying to vamp up my very small area of construction. (Year 1) The children LOVE going in there (especially the boys of course).

They tend to use the same things like K'nex.. and make the same things ~ Cars..

I am making (hopefully) the are more exciting.. for example Model of the week (Picture of the Child goes on the wall with their model)

Just wondering what challenges do you set for your class?

Does anyone have any pictures of their construction area that the wouldn't mind sharing :D (cheeky request)

We have: LEGO, CONSTRUCTOR, LASY, K'NEX, WOODEN BUILDING BLOCKS, WACKY MACHINES.

Thanks in advance... as i know i can always rely on FSF forum members for advice

:D

Am also interested in people's ideas, as we make the same lego planes but it would be nice for a change, and not one which is forced by me! I like the idea of taking a picture of the model of the week. I have added paper and pencil to draw sketches and write labels, but that so far is not going too well.

My brother is a civil engineer so I got him to bring me some copies of engineering magazines they had at work. I introduced them to the children as special 'grown up' engineering magazines and just left them in the construction area - several children were seen flicking through them and having a go at making the bridges in there.

Perhaps some of your parents might be able to help with relevant publications?

I am pre-school but just thought I would say that adding planks of different lengths to our construction area was one of the best things we have ever done.

I had one of those fairly cheap three tier wooden slat shelving units and took it apart, sanded and removed any nails and hey presto.

The 'raised roads' (amongst other things!) the children build are amazing and their use of mathematical language has been a real eye opener.

You could make a Bob the Builder theme area and have hard hats, pictures of houses being built and blue prints (get them from Builders or architects) which Bob has. Pictures on the walls of bridges, linked to the story of 3 Billy Goats Gruff? Also, you say its particularly the boys who like this area. We got over this by extending the area to include a dolls house - roads to the house were built plus a garage extension with smaller blocks. A few of the girls began to see the area as theirs which it hadn't been before.

Do you have a long term plan for your Construction Area - if not this website has some good long term plans which you could use as a start www.earlyyearsplanning.co.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)