Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Displays

I have been considering displays in a day nursery.

At the moment we have all different colours backing and borders . The low ones alway look tatty , they all look too busy and clashy.What do people think about only using neutral backing? The same colours across the setting? Seen any articles on the subject ? Am I looking at it to much from an adults point of view?Wanting things to 'go'

Edited by littleanna

In my last nursery we used natural hessian on all the display boards and it looked lovely. Really showed the children's work. We were not allowed to mount any work in bright colours unless the children requested it. The overall result was a very crisp and clean look. The hessian was not that expensive - google it and you will see. we brought it on a massive roll. It is a bit of a pain to get on (two person job) as you need to stretch it, we found the blu tac stuck to it if you used enough. The initial outlay was worth it as you never have to replace it unless it gets tatty which it should not do on high boards. our low boards also faired really well.

I had my reservations about Hessian, but i loved it

Dawn

I have been considering displays in a day nursery.

At the moment we have all different colours backing and borders . The low ones alway look tatty , they all look too busy and clashy.What do people think about only using neutral backing? The same colours across the setting? Seen any articles on the subject ? Am I looking at it to much from an adults point of view?Wanting things to 'go'

I got a massive roll of brown paper - which is more like card. I teach in reception and have now backed all my boards with this colour, I think it works really well, the childrens work and/or strategies for learning stand out rather than looking at a garish (sp?) backing paper and clashing border!!

ABC does has a preference for cream it would seem. :)

I back all my boards in the same shade of pale blue - on the second year of doing this now. I also try not to make the room look too busy generally. People often comment on how calm my classroom is too! Again not sure if thats the backing, but I think everything contributes...

We have hessian backed boards with neutral broders which look really smart and are much more durable than the rolls of poster paper, so in the long run cheaper too. Am sure the idea came out of Elizabeth Jarmens stuff about Communication friendly spaces, or a Learning through Landscape workshop. :o

I have just changed all the display boards to one colour, we used cheap rolls of packing paper!!!! everyone comments on how calm the pre-school is now.

elizabethjarmantraining.co.uk this link should take you to the Elizabeth Jarman web site that has a wealth of information on Communication Friendly Spaces and the effects a busy environment has on children's language development

I too have hessian and always get comments about how calm the classroom is. Any work really stands out on them and saves heaps of time changing display papers all the time. I haven't had any problems with staples they come out easily and don't cause damage. It has faded a little where my borders have been.

I'm pre-school, we have 3 big boards in the hall, last year for whatever reason I couldn't find anywhere to source hessian from, I bought some rolls of plain wall paper called "Hessian" and painted the paper very pale brown, yes it was a bit of a phaff, but the result is good and the boards look great.

Has anyone got any pictures they could share? I can't quite imagine hessian on the dispay boards although I like the sound of it...what do you use as a border?

Having spent an hour yesterday taking a display down and putting new backing paper up (bright blue I confess!) in my own time in half term, I'm quite tempted by this idea. Not sure my room will ever be calm though, but it might help!

Have just been hunting for a picture but can't find it -will take a couple on Monday and post them. I use the corrugated roll in a neuteral shade like brown or green for the border, or get the children to do things like potato or leaf prints on a roll of brown or cream card, for 'themed' displays, with the hessian as the main backing. It lasts much better than paper and doesn't fade as much ( even the 'fadeless' paper fades in my setting!)

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)