Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ast

Guest ChunkyMan

Guest ChunkyMan

Hi there,

I thought I would ask if anyone out there is an FS2 AST and if so what did you have to do to get it....I understand the process on the whole but am a little hazy on the lesson observation aspect? Asides from phonics I don't teach lessons as such???

Can anyone enlighten me? :o

Not lessons in the KS1 and 2 sense but you are working with children all the time and the provision is supporting learning so you are teaching, just in different ways!

CX

Hi, I am Early Years AST and I was observed throughout the morning covering short inputs I did with the children and then working in areas of continuous provision. I am not going to lie, the whole assessment day was like having a personal Ofsted (very scary!) But being an AST is fabulous and I love every minute of my outreach work supporting other schools and practitioners. If you are thinking of applying - go for it!

Anj x

Hi there

I too am an EY AST and have been for the past 8 years... so it's a long time since I had my assessment day. As far as I remember the inspector observed me during two sessions (of my choice) one was PSRN and the other CLL/CD focus.

He then spoke to my colleagues, parents, children and the head as well as my more formal interview.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it :o

Guest ChunkyMan
Hi, I am Early Years AST and I was observed throughout the morning covering short inputs I did with the children and then working in areas of continuous provision. I am not going to lie, the whole assessment day was like having a personal Ofsted (very scary!) But being an AST is fabulous and I love every minute of my outreach work supporting other schools and practitioners. If you are thinking of applying - go for it!

Anj x

Hi Anj,

Thanks for that...I am seriously considering it....I have asked for someone to come out to talk about what I need in terms of evidence.

Cx

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Anj,

Thanks for that...I am seriously considering it....I have asked for someone to come out to talk about what I need in terms of evidence.

Cx

On the AST application form, it asks you for your focus subjects or curriculum areas, there are things including early numeracy, reception, transition between Ey and KS1 - nothing states just early years. What did others select on the form? It says you need 2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)