Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help With E Profiles Please!

Hope there is someone out there that will be able to advise!

I am at present working on e profile on my laptop. I've done assessment boxes, but am now on comments for each area. The program has worked fine up to the last couple of days. I am saving the profile onto the laptops C drive and also onto a memory stick.

When saving to back up your work on e drive (memory stick)the message comes up-

cannot create file E:/FSPcomment2005-E8902207040322.12"The directory or file cannot be created it is being used by another process.

Anyone got any advice on this or perhaps a helpline number I could ring for the software producer?

Getting pretty desperate. The laptop seems to be saving to it's memory but won't let me save to the memory pen. Tried two different memory pens without success.

Many thanks!

Guest Fiona

Sorry, I've had a look at mine and all it says is to contact your LEA for help. Not much help really!!

Hi there Molly West - I am so pleased to see your email - I am in the same boat and starting to panic.

Last year I had an identical problem - I got round it using Special Data Transfer and saving one child at a time to disc. This year's upgrade doesn't seem to have Special Data transfer... I am calling my LEA team - again (they will be sick of me after last year !)

I was fine up to the 11 th set of report comments - I wonder if the program can handle all the comments? It has saved fine until I added comments - e.g. data alone has saved, backed up etc. I don't seem able to transfer into a MS Word doc either ???

I've tried backing up the files from the back up on my hard drive but still can't transfer them between machines.

If I get any joy from our IT team ( beginning of next week) or find a way round it I'll post here !

How many others are in the same boat ... does any one have the answers?

PS I get identical statement regarding memory stick - have also tried CD and floppy drive but to no avail!!!!!!!

Many thanks for your reply Junerichardsob,

I am so relieved to know that it isn't just me! Getting to the stage where I can see me working on the network at school and spending every hour of my time working outside school hours to get it finished on time.

This is the first year we have used e profile. Our IT manager would prefer us to work on the profile at school, preventing complications, but I have insisted on having a lap top to work on at home.

Hope there is a solution?

Thanks once again!

Hi

My reply is' nt going to help I' m afraid! I' m using the e- profile, have just printed of reports (disappointed that the actual booklet comes out in black and white but have stuck with after consulting FS coordinator as I have shared it with parents thoughout the year and will have 10 minutes per parent to handover as a report (alongside lap top so that they see that its the same.

The sore point has occured regarding the transfer of resluts to the LEA. I have a copy of the profile on our admins computer which I dutifullly enter results into (only clicking on boxes noe comments etc) However the admin assistant has been informed yesterday that Assessment manager which she uses to transfer other Key stage data is not compatible with the profile. She has checked with our ICT LEA suport who have confimed this, despite recepetion teachers (including myself being encouraged to use the e- profile for all those time saving reasons!)

Bottom line is our Admin Assisitant is not happy to use the e- profile as she is not beeing advised to by her support- especially when they have said the data can not be transferred to her software. She would prefer to do what she has done previously - Reception teacher spends time (when!!!!) supporting her or doing it (aargh) transferring the info into Assessment Manager.

Have informed headteacher (after trying to get hold of our Assessment unit who advised using e- profile)- headteacher has said she will follow up>

Not sure how this will end up. I don't think that I should have to double my workload entering assements onto the profile (whetther paper or e- profile) and into addtiotnal software.

Despite this end of year gripe, I have found the e- profile useful- don't have to carry round paper copies etc, its backed up on my personal lap top (not got a school one) and I enter tonnes of stuff onto the internal comments space. Must' nt forget those oh so handy charts that I can print of and hand to anyone interested (blind them with science) they always nod not sure of what they have but happy with a chart!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

Me again Mollywest - have just found out I can export one child complete with comments to floppy drive - why it won't do it to memory stick or CD I can't say... this is what I did

Go to Enter assessments/ Select pupils - I selected one child only ! then close

Go to data / back up / Export pupil data for merging with another profile' - this then gives the option of where to save. I tried CD and memory stick but it was no go ...so tried the trusty floppy drive and it has copied said child onto disc. Data is there and I think comments - I will know more tomorrow when I try to add to machine in classroom. The child's data and comments are still on the laptop they have not been removed.

If I have to move each child one by one then so be it - I did something very similar last year with 36 children time consuming but if it works hurrah.

I don't know about you but I was Ok saving to memory stick until I got past 10 children ( data + report comments)

I am still struggling to get the reports to transfer to MS Word I keep getting a statment that says the class isn't registered? Any ideas anyone???

Will let you know how I get on transfering to other machine tomorow.

Fingers crossed!

Dear Molly West

Just to say that the single child + report comments has transferred between machines - it seems a ridiculous way of doing it but if no other way works then it will have to do!!!!!!

Who is responsible for the e profile programme and why hasn't it been upgraded sufficiently to cope with what it has been designed to do?????? ( sorry frustrated outburst !) :o

Just a quick comment about printing the profile in black and white (not the report package that comes with the profile). If for any reason the print run ends (due to lack of ink half way through!!!!) the software does not allow you to resume/ choose where you print from but starts from the beginning again!

The software does need to be looked at again despite its useful points!

Lisa

Have you tried copying the backup on your C:\ onto your memory pen just in windows explorer.

It might be that the eprofile software doesn't recognise memory pens.

Thats how I do mine. Save/backup work in the usual way to c:\ and then go into windows explorer and copy backup files to e:\ manually.

Many thanks for the advice. I will give it a try tomorrow! I am absolutely tired out and can't look at the laptop monitor any longer!

Reports seem to have been a nightmare this year,. I suspect it is because of e profile!!! Report Assist that we used last year wasn't nearly as bad.

Once again, many thanks.

Shame I missed this topic as I am sure everytone will have ironed out their gremlins by now but Ill forge ahead anyway.

Lisa, , you can print out as many or few copies as you want by chossing the 'selcvt pupils' option first, then choosng the pupils you want, then go to print.

Molly and June, Im not sur why you have problems saving but it did dawn ion me that the eprofile isnt recommeneded for use on a network. The software producers are very clear that they will not provide technical support for networks.

It is also not recommened to use differnt machines and to kep transferring the dtat between them. Better if possible to use just a home pc, or laptop and carry that around if you need to work on it at school. Then you just need to combine at the end of the year with other classes for sending to the LEA.

To save, use the backup option, like Paul said, rather than the 'export data fro merging with another profile' option. This allows you to select where you want to save to. (or should do?). We havent had any problems with this, perhaps we are just lucky?

I think the specail data transfer is still there, it just isnt called that, its now under data files/backup.

Lisa, If your LEA isnt recommending the use of the eprofle, this could well be bacesue that schols admin systems are not compatibble with the format. The best way to fnd this out (if your admin staff cant tel you), is to make sure that you use yoyur schools admin system to create a CTF file containing all the pupil data at the beginning of the year. Not only is this easier than puttng in all the dtaa by hand, but you wont be able to do it if your systems are incompatiable with the eprofile. Your admin staff should (hopefuly)know anyway.

However if you have been told to use it then it is their repsonsibility to make thispossible. The transer of data in your case is an admin job and not yours, all you need to do is make sure that you hand in the data, print it off if necessary, and its up to your admin staff to sort out the rest. At least you know for next year if you decide to carry on with using the eprofile.

Finally if your LEA is supporting the eprofile next year, its worht asking them to provide taining, I had training last year along with our office manager, which was very good and covered most of the issues. theer is also a handbok which you sould eb able to downloda form teh same place you got the eprofile. that also covers a lot of the possible problems.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)