Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Quotations

How about these

"Let children be children. A skilled five year old grows from a busy four year old, a curious three year old, a cuddled two year old, an adventurous one year old and a communicative baby."

Jenny Lindon, Babies - learning starts from the first day, Early Education

And

"I learnt most not from those who taught me, but from those who talked with me."

St Augustine

Star

This is a good post. I am looking to develop our foundation unit brochure and want to include a quote to use for our setting. One local nursery used " Every bud has a chance to blossom" Anyone good any good ideas?

Guest Fiona

T.S.Eliot said 'Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.'

However, the one I'd like on my tombstone comes from Berol (of felt pen fame)...

"Specially formulated for the rigours of academic use"!!!

I use this as my signature - it sums up lots!

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and all are different colours . . . but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

Guest Fiona

How about

"No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure."

Emma Goldman

Now I must finish my reports!

Did an internet search (God I am SO trying to get out of doing my work!!!) and found these quotes.

Have decided to put the ones already suggested and these on display in my classroom. Am calling it a 'Wall of Inspiration' and sticking them up - might as well use them!!! Might also inspire others!

D xxx

Quotes.doc

Brilliant!

How will you make the wall?

I picture it with a Humpty Dumpty figure (just) balancing. When you get cross you can push the figure off the wall- explaining that you are talking about positional language /doing opposites, 'up' 'down' or 'top, 'middle', 'bottom'!

Barb

Hadn't thought of using Humpty Dumpty!!! That actually sounds like a good idea - and yes . . .positional language would also be great!!!!!!! Ha ha!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow now!

D xxx

Echoing the thoughts of everyone else - brilliant quotes - have copied them down into a folder for future use. Thanks very much Gater et al.

Nikki

I have these on the staff room wall. I apolgise for those whose signatures I have "stolen" but their statement was profound:

In 100 years time nobody will care how much money you earned, but the world may be different because you were important in the life of a child!

The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards.

The biggest children of all are those over 30!!!!

Before you find fault with the younger generation, remember who reared it.

Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

I have one in the depths of my laptop about how many questions a 4 year old will ask in one day (I think it's 400!!! - think of all those why's)

I will dig it out, many of my old parents were surprised by this!!

I love inspirational quotes too.... this is a a bit (!!!!) longer but I love it... sorry if you've already heard it !

ALL I EVER REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW I LARNED IN KINDERGARTEN by Robert Fulghum

'Most of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in Kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain but there in the sandbox at Nursery School.

These are the things I learned. Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't take things that are't yours. Say you're sorry when you hurst somebody. wash your hands before you eat. Flush. warm cookies and cld milk are good for you. live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out in the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together. Be aware of wonder. Reember the little seed in the plastic cup. The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows hw or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the plastic cup - they all die. So do we.

And then remember the book about Dick and Jane and the first word you learned, the biggest word of all : LOOK. Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and sane living.

Think of what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world- had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankets for a nap. Or if we had a basic policy in our nation and other nations to always put things back where we found them and cleaned up our own messes. And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together'

Sorry it is so long, but I think it is great ! ... and another one now I've started

By Leo Buscaglia (I don't know if it has a title !)

'To try is to risk failure. But risk must be taken because the greatest hazard of life is to risk nothing. the person who risks nothing, does nothing, is nothing. he may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, live and love'

better go ... this is serious report writing avoidance !

Galleon :o

I've done a google search on Leo Buscaglia. This site gives an insight into the man. And there are loads of quotes. here. I liked this one

'It is amazing to me how many adults talk 'at' children. Listen to what you say to them.' :D

Love all the quotes and I am facinated by everyones signatures.

I like this quote but sadly do not know it's origin

" If the only birds who sang in the wood were the best, what a quiet place the wood, would be."

One that has stuck in my mind since secondary school (and lets face it, not much remains from those days!!!) is from D H Lawrence's poetry:

'For God's sake, let us be men, not monkeys minding machines'

Bit profound for this time of night...... but how many people are stuck in boring repetitive jobs because they weren't inspired when they were younger or life has dealt them a duff hand........

We have a responsibility to do the best job raising and educating these children.

Two I like are:

"You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing"

and

"He who laughs last, thinks slowest" :D

not sure where they're from but I've bee quoting them for years

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)