Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing

Hiya

I am currently working in a nursery school, and we are focusing on writing this year. Howevr I would like some ideas if anyone has them.

At the moment I have done matching intial letter magnets to first letter of name, tracing over name, Forming letters on w/bs. Is there anything else we can do?

thanks in advance

Going back to basics is always a good place to start - before they are ready to write children need to have the motor skills to control those small movements - so things like playdough ( rolling shaping - making letters etc), shallow sand trays where they can make shapes and patterns with variuos implements or thier fingers,or builders trays with shaving foam/cornflour gloop etc, using scarves to make big sweeping shapes in the air, chalk outside where they can 'write' for a purpose like making carparks, hopscotch etc, and water and paintbrushes to 'write' on surfaces outside.Clipboards and whiteboards available are also good - the boys especially love these. Hand Gym is also fun - we have a tray with pegs , shapes, single hole punches,screw top containers etc, and lots of other things the children need to manipulate to strengthen hand muscles , this is all before we expect them to even pick up a pencil and form words. It has to be fun as it's something they will be doing all of thier lives. :o

In the pst we have used empty paint bottles filled with water for children to squirt letters on the floor etc. It's a great way to use their gross motor skills but can get a bit wet so my be better in the summer unless you have waterproof suits!

An activity we have done with our children, and one incidently in the which the boys actively take part, is to get a roll of wallpaper lining paper and wrapping it around a table (in a continuous loop). The children are then invited to lie under the table to draw on the paper and it is just pulled around to the next clear section when they have finished, because they are working upside down this is a great activity for strengthening arm muscles as well as improving pen control as gravity adds an extra dimension.

I have the write dance activity book and cds but I haven't used it yet, I really want to start using it after half term. Can somebody tell me if there is a difference between the 'home' and 'funfair' activities and do you do home then funfair or do you choose to follow one or mix and match both??? Maybe i'm over complicating things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)