Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Phase 1

Hi

I currently work in a small reception class.

We have had a FS consultant in and she says it is fine to get a good grounding in phase 1 before moving on to phase 2 - which we are about to do.

Another teacher in a nearby school has come in and been mortified that we haven't started phase 2 sounds. On assessment at the start of term they really didn't seem ready.

Now I am so worried that I have done the wrong thing.

Please help!!!

Phase 2 last about 6 weeks, you have plenty of time if you have a session every day! Consolidate phase 1 and start phase 2 after half term, although do remember phase 1 can and should run alongside other phases too.

Guest ShelleyT

Don't panic! We always spend the first half term on Phase 1 and then start Phase 2 after half term. It's important that the children are ready to learn their sounds and Phase 1 is really important in working towards that. You are doing the right thing!

Guest ChunkyMan

You should have plenty of time to cover phase 2 over the next half term, it should take about 6 weeks. We always consolidate phase 1 for most of this 1st half term as the children invariably come back after the summer break needing a little reminder to say the least!!!

Hi I have a class of 30 and we did lots of phase 1 games in the first 3 weeks when they were part time and half a class. I started phase 2 when all 30 were together and am now on week 3. I am also running phase 1 activities alongside phase 2. I think it does a disservice to those children who are ready and able to learn the letter sounds and start blending (I have at least half the class in this category) than to wait until everyone is ready -after all we will be expecting children to start reading and writing and how can we expect them to do that if we have not given them the tools to do so. I don't think it does any harm for those children who are 'not ready' to be exposed to initial sounds in a phase 2 lesson. I do the initial carpet introduction to the sound of the day and then I split the class 3 ways ( I have a 2 TAs one who supports a SEN child and takes a couple of others too) and we all teach a group. I take the more able and do segmenting and blending and the other 2 groups do more phase 1 activities. I go as far as teaching all of phase 2 and phase 3 single sounds and ch,th and sh before Christmas then we assess and then feed into the rest of KS1 phonic sets. All teachers and TAs in KS1 have a phase group to enable smaller groups. There are children every year who surprise me with their ability to sound out and hear the word made and then there are seemingly more able children who just cannot 'hear' the word made. I have one little boy who has just clicked with it and he would have been the last child I would have expected so I like to run with phase 2 as soon as all children are all in whatever the cohort.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)