Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

If I Was A Teacher...

trekker

..I doubt I'd ever have to put up with a parent telling me that, after 15+ years of working with preschoolers, I have the 'theoretical knowledge'...but that "people who actually have children ... know what they actually benefit from.." :oxD:( - Meaning not that parents know their child best (which I agree with) ...but that people who are parents know more about what is best for children ...

I am fuming and insulted !!!!

After 15 years of working with one age group I think I can say I have slightly more than 'theoretical knowledge' about the needs and fascinations of this age...what parent ever cared for a 3 yr old for 15 years? !!!!!

Sorry needed to rant - maybe Im over reacting but I'll burst if I dont get it out.

It always feels like people who have never been a teacher seem to know more about teaching than teachers do! Especially when it comes to things like school closures due to bad weather and that kind of thing. Apparently all teachers are lazy, get too many holidays and will find any excuse for a day off! If only all those very wise and hard working people actually knew how much work goes into teaching children and how much of the time we put in we actually get paid for!

I've been lucky enough to not have been on the receiving end of too much grief from parents but I imagine it's very frustrating. Stay strong and let it all wash over you, no point getting upset about someone else's naivety, especially not on a Friday night! :o

Oh that makes me so mad too. When I was a nanny (before I had my own) we thought exactly that - yes you may have had experience of one child but I have had experience of many children. Yes you have had a whole 3 months experience of YOUR child being 3 - I however, trained with and have subsequently worked with ooooh about 50 3 year olds!

I dread to think exactly how many 3 year olds it would be now :o

The only thing I agreed with on the 'you'll see when you have your own' comment from parents was when they cry when you leave them at preschool!! I had a child that I nannied who sobbed the entire session - literally. It was horrible and I didn't like leaving her but from my own experience I thought she would stop when I went so wasn't too upset. She didn't though!! It was years and years ago so I can't actually remember what happened in the end BUT when my own child cried at pre-school and the leader told me she stopped as soon as I went... a line I had trotted out truthfully so may times... I didn't believe it! I just couldn't believe that my child who rarely cried could be that upset and yet stop so quickly. It was truly horrible. After a couple of days I stood outside the door and heard her... stop. xD

Another one that makes me mad is midwives when people say they don't know what childbirth is like. COnsidering it's different for everyone I don't see how having a baby would make them any better a midwife!

Hi Trekker

Clearly you do 'have' children, and have had them for 15 years! Good advice from MissBlinx not to let the naivety of others get you down.

If there is something like this I get frustrated with, I usually write something in the newsletter seemingly unrelated such as a very positive note about the importance of the parent and practitioner 'partnership', both complementing each other.

Guest heleng

Not true, believe me, I AM a teacher and I have been told something similar on more then one occasion.

Edited by heleng

Guest heleng

It is insensitive and upsetting and I wish people would think before they speak. Try not to take it to heart (easier said then done I know).

Edited by heleng

Trekker...one is tempted to say something really rude when facing such ignorant and condescending people but as the professional you are you will rise above this and carry on as normal because that is what we do.

Don't let them grind you down......parents make the job so much harder!!!!

I'm afraid parents don't have the monopoly on being unfeeling and insensitive. I've known quite a few professionals down the years who have made me feel inadequate as a parent whilst dishing out the "I've been doing my job for 30 years and in my experience what babies/toddlers/teenagers need is..." advice that is guaranteed to get my back up!

We're not all blessed with a never ending supply of tact and diplomacy and when we're under stress we are apt to say the wrong thing, or phrase the right thing inelegantly. I've found that stopping to consider what might be going on for the parent at the point they make these kinds of statements can be very helpful in helping me realise that maybe the problem isn't with me, but with them. After an initial silent rant in my head (or to a trusted friend or colleague!), I try to find some kind of empathy for their position and it does help me calm down a bit!