Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic Readers

Just wanted some advice really. I have started in my new job and am getting to grips with the resources. The reading scheme is all ORT and I would like to have some phonic readers rather than just sight vocab. There is some funding available but do I request the basic Floppys phonics to supplement the ORT scheme?

There is a new Floppy Phonics sounds and letters scheme too- has anyone used it?

What do you use for home readers?

I know a mix is good but want children to feel they can decode most of the words!

I would definitely try to get something in to mix in with the ORT scheme books. We don't have the Floppy's phonics at school but I have seen a few and those looked like they would be good.

We have a mix of lots of different schemes and I have 'recategorised' them myself and sorted out the books that the children should be able to tackle by the end of Phase 2 and then those they should be able to read as they move through Phase 3. That has really helped, as I know then that whoever is reading with the children will then be able to select a book that is at an appropriate level. I do wish we had more phonic based books available so I will be interested to read other replies.

Thanks for the response. I will discuss with literacy co ordinator. I will probably 'book band' too as that provides a good mix for the children. We did purchase the songbird phonics as the book people were doing a good deal on those and have used them already.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry a little late in replying - we have floppys phonics but we also have these books by Dandelion Publishers. They are by far so much better and soooo much cheaper, they follow letters and sounds programme and you can also buy reading comprehension worksheets to accompany them. The kids and the parents love em!

I too recommend the Floppy's Phonics books. We didn't have many but those we had were excellent. I highly recommend the non fiction books, although I did find them to be harder than the fiction ones and used to give a blue band reader a yellow non fiction book, particularly if they were only just moved onto blue band. I think this was more because there were a lot of unfamiliar words in the non fiction books though and I felt that when the children were having to plough through the text it would get tedious and put them off a little.

I know this is quite a late reply but thought I would post anyway. We have been using a scheme called Bug Club for the past 12 months with great sucess. It is directly linked to Letters and Sounds and is also available on the web for children to use at home. Each child has there own log in and the teacher just drops in a number of books each half term. The books are very current and appealing to young children and we have had fantastic feedback from both parents and children.

Hope this helps.xx

I prefer SongBirds to Floppy Phonics because sometimes FPh include words like 'put' which are not really decodable and become confusing for some children at the beginning stages.

Songbirds Phonics ORT

You can get them a lot cheaper via Amazon.

I am including the order I work it (Stages 1 and 2). You will also notice that I take advantage of the Cartoons that had been included with Playing With Sounds since the children liked them :o . It is the same document, but in .doc or .docx depending on which works better for you.

Reading_words_order.doc

Reading_words_order.docx

Thanks to everyone for the replies! The ORT salesman- oops lady, is coming by tomorrow so i will have a rummage through. I am probably going to purchase through the DfES £3000 matched funding catalogue as for some reason things are cheaper in there. Some other ideas you have all come up with are in there too.

Having gone from a huge 3 form entry school to a tiny school I miss the chance to mull things over so thanks for the advice.

:o

FYI- The online version of the catalogue is available, at http://www.espo.org/pdfs/Phonics%20Catalogue%202011.pdf

We have

Sounds and Letters Floppy's Phonics

Project X phonics

Songbirds

All Stars

Project X (up to grey level in KS1)

Tree Tops

Phonic Bugs

Bug Club

Rigby Star Phonics

(also Phonic bug and Bug Club e books)

Big Cat Phonics

Rag Tag Rhymes

Have you looked at the free Oxford Owl e books?

I bought complete sets of Songbirds from the Book People for £15 instead of £128.82 ... http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...roductId=218821

Edited by Marion

I prefer SongBirds to Floppy Phonics because sometimes FPh include words like 'put' which are not really decodable and become confusing for some children at the beginning stages.

Songbirds Phonics ORT

This made me smile, as it very much depends on where you live. In the North 'put' p-u-t is very much decodable! Perhaps the ORT writers have one of the northern accents!

This made me smile, as it very much depends on where you live. In the North 'put' p-u-t is very much decodable! Perhaps the ORT writers have one of the northern accents!

Even worse :( when I am Puerto Rican xD and have an American accent :o .

• 1 month later...
We have

Sounds and Letters Floppy's Phonics

Project X phonics

Songbirds

All Stars

Project X (up to grey level in KS1)

Tree Tops

Phonic Bugs

Bug Club

Rigby Star Phonics

(also Phonic bug and Bug Club e books)

Big Cat Phonics

Rag Tag Rhymes

Have you looked at the free Oxford Owl e books?

I bought complete sets of Songbirds from the Book People for £15 instead of £128.82 ... http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...roductId=218821

Guest tinkerbell

The Book People have a whole box of Floppy phonics and first stories for £25 instead of £240 ! unbelievable when we have just sent in an order :o

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)