Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Number Area

Hi everyone,

We are due OFSTED very soon and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to enhance our number area to impress!

We are also trying to reflect numbers in each area of provision .....any ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

xxxx

An easy on for outside is to number your wheeled toys and then draw corresponding parking places on the floor wth chalk

Have you read ' A place to Learn' by Lewisham LA - it tells you what to have in each area of provision

Numbers/pictures of children saying how many can play in a particular area are always good

At snack time children can help with setting out the correct numbers of cup/plates etc

Off out now will add more when I think of some

we do a lot of our maths through snack, but if OFSTED don't see this we are knackered! lol.

What type of things does everyone have on their Maths CP shelves?...games, number beans, shapes, books about number/shape, numbers to order, objects to count???

Thanks

We have all those things but one thing that ofsted saw and liked when they came last summer was my velcro board, I covered a board with fabric that velcro sticks to and every couple of weeks I put something new on there for them to experiment with . At the moment I have squares of different colours which they can make repeating patterns with but I have had numbers which the children can order, number sentences, shape sorting, you name it! I also in my maths area quite often have a tuff spot out with things they can sort in different ways and count (buttons are my favourite and theirs) I do have a table in my maths area and I do put a challenge activity on there that I expect all children to have a go at. I find that If I have done a whole class lesson and demonstrated something then if i put that in my maths area they will often return to it.

I bought a lovely book recently called maths without worksheets (I think) which had some lovely ideas for maths related investigation boxes and it is something that I would like to devlop in my class if I had the time! they were things like a pirate treasure box which had lots of necklaces of different lengths to order and sort and coins to count and sort.

Deb

How do people differentiate for Year 1 in continuous provision areas in mixed classes? I have tried having a year 1 and reception activity but without supervision the Y1 children tend to revert to reception stuff!! I have small classroom so its impossible to have loads of different areas set up just for a particular year group.

xx

Hi Deb,

All those ideas sound fab!Thank you. We are really enjoying putting 'challenges' in the areas at the moment! ...so that book would be fab to buy, did you get it off the internet? I am going to get some velcro and buttons today! lol

Have you got any more ideas you could share on a challenge activity to put on the maths table?

Thanks

Gina

Bladette....I would have challenges in the CP that the Year 1 children can read and make it really clear to them before they choose that it is there. We have had challenge Questions for Rec in the Creative and Playdough which do need reading out by an adult...e.g. Can you make a car with 4 wheels?

Can you make an insect with 8 legs?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)