Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeling So Much Better

Hello,

so for any of you that have followed my previous rants about being off work with stress and how unsympathetic my operations manager was, well shock horror!, he was actually nice to me LOL.

I was asked by HR to ring my ops manager this week to let him know how i was doing with being off with stress. so after spending thirty minutes plucking up the courage to ring him LOL, (and noting down points i wanted to discuss), i rang him.

the first thing he asked was how was i, this may or may not have been sincere (i am a cynic LOL), but still he asked. then i told him that i planned to return to work next wednesday and he responded with 'good, i am glad to hear it'. He asked me why i had gotten so stressed with work and i explained that i felt responsable for the nursery not doing well (in fact it turns out i have been badly managed and so has the nursery), he told me not to feel responsable, he explained that he did not feel i was responsable at all. There is now another assistant manager in place to work alongside me, and in time i think she will become manager, this would be great.

I had e-mailed him explaining how i felt, (he hates e-mail) and he made reference to how he would have prefered me to have spoken to him, but he understood why i had e-mailed that time - he even said my e-mail was elegantly written (not sure if that was the right word, but there was a compliment in there somewhere). he said that he would appreciate me communicating with him better, and this is something that i need to take on board. he has asked me to ring next monday to let him know where i am at, but i do plan to return now, which is a complete turn around to how i felt yesterday about stuff.

deep in my heart i know i love the nursery, i find it tiresome, hard work and lots of pressure because we are not doing too well, but if i express how much pressure i feel then surely someone can help, hopefully getting a new manager in soon will ease the load... and if i am brutaly honest it makes sense to stay there because we are trying for our own family, and having SMP is better than no money when we fall pregnant. ..... also however much i love being at home, there is only so much day time TV, cleaning, and eating of crappy food and chocolate that even i can do :-) LOL.

thanks for all that shared my rant with me :-)

I look forward to de-stressing and searching deep within to find that enthusiasm that once drove me so well in childcare

Dawn

Well done you and so pleased to hear your ops manager was...by the sounds of it....really quite reasonable. You must feel as if a big weight has been lifted and can now start to prepare yourself for your return to work which at the moment fits in best with your plans.

Give it a few weeks and if things are no better then ring him again...he has asked that you communicate with him so do....he may not know what he is letting himself in for :o

Keep well and well rested for a little while longer and best of luck with daytime TV.....rather you than me. When I was off after an operation I recorded loads of films and programs that were on past my bedtime so I would have something other than daytime TV to watch!

So glad it went well today Dawn, sometimes we answer our own questions too soon and then find out we're wrong. Hubby has just come home and told me the woman who he had a missed call of this morning was phoning to ask who to make the cheque payable to, not as he imagined, to query the bill. He'd second guessed her.

Take the time you need now to relax and if things are as bad you say at the nursery go back with a list of things you'd like to change.

Maybe he meant you had written your email eloquently, Dawn? :o

It is so good to hear you sounding positive again! Reflection can be a wonderful thing if it helps you identify the bits of the job you love as well as the challenges you face. Knowing that deep down you love your job can keep you going during the difficult times. Maybe whilst you're off you could look for something to do to release your stress and replace the rubbish tv and chocolate element of being at home.

Although personally, chocolate does it for me every time! xD

Maybe he meant you had written your email eloquently, Dawn? :o

yep, that was the word xD

well in my time off i have convinced hubby to book us a short break at center parcs (just booked my spa treatments now LOL), so i have something to look forward too. Apparantly now i have booked something that i can't do whilst pregnant i am sure to fall pregnant this month LOL (we are trying so that would be great, but i would have wasted money hee hee :( )

Last night i had a 'blip' and felt fearful of returning, but then again i never have two weeks off work (apart from when i got married earlier in the year!), So i think it is just a long time to be off, i do feel less stressed now. I need to return and see how it goes, if it is all the same then maybe i do need to leave. but i am willing to try again :(

yep, that was the word :o

well in my time off i have convinced hubby to book us a short break at center parcs (just booked my spa treatments now LOL), so i have something to look forward too. Apparantly now i have booked something that i can't do whilst pregnant i am sure to fall pregnant this month LOL (we are trying so that would be great, but i would have wasted money hee hee :( )

Last night i had a 'blip' and felt fearful of returning, but then again i never have two weeks off work (apart from when i got married earlier in the year!), So i think it is just a long time to be off, i do feel less stressed now. I need to return and see how it goes, if it is all the same then maybe i do need to leave. but i am willing to try again xD

Hi Dawn

I have been following your thread with intrest. I am gald you feel better and reflection does help.Take thing's slowly when you go back. I think I may have worked for the same company as you but left in July. I was in the same role so I do understand how demanding the role is . Operation managers do have alots of pressure on their heads especially as thay dont have a childcare background . May be spend more time in the rooms with the children, get admin to take on more stuff and let the other perosn shoulder some of the responsiblity. Look after yourself and good luck