Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journals

Hello just wondering if you nice people could help me?

Im in nursery and we have decided this year to start the learning journals.........

Can you please tell me how you manage 52 of these....

and what things do you actually put in them....beacuse obviously we dont do worksheets in nursery....is it just pics and annotations?

Thank you xx

Hi,

our learning journals contain the following: developmental matters headings (which have links to all the following as evidence) photos, various types of observations (narrative, learning stories,planned activity, 10 minute, walking tour, schematic etc), postit notes, parent comments, art work, half termly next steps and PLOD sheets. We too have 50+ children and the files are maintained by the individual keyworkers on a weekly basis.

Edited by max321

Hi at my daughter's playgroup they added 1 photo and description per week because that's what they felt they could manage with over 40 children and each key worker had 8 children per session (and they weren't paid any extra to do them!)These books were sent home each month and 2 next steps were written in for us to look out for so we could send in related wow vouchers. By the end of the 2 years the book had really built up and was really thick. I think you just have to work out what you can manage and what is important for you to record.

Deb

• 1 month later...
Guest youngrisers
Hi at my daughter's playgroup they added 1 photo and description per week because that's what they felt they could manage with over 40 children and each key worker had 8 children per session (and they weren't paid any extra to do them!)These books were sent home each month and 2 next steps were written in for us to look out for so we could send in related wow vouchers. By the end of the 2 years the book had really built up and was really thick. I think you just have to work out what you can manage and what is important for you to record.

Deb

hello

at our preschool we have used learning journey books for a while, we enocurage to parents to contribute to the book by sending it home and adding information about any outings or events they have completed with their child, photographs add to this info, we then respond by adding info from us regarding our observations and explainations of what activities the child has been doing. this two way process allows us a glimpse into the many activities our children do outside the preschol setting. not every parent will contribute alot some more than others, depends on time and work commitments, but most mange a photo or a couple of lines per week. the learning journeys do fill out after a time too! some children end up with two!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

our learning journals contain the following: developmental matters headings (which have links to all the following as evidence) photos, various types of observations (narrative, learning stories,planned activity, 10 minute, walking tour, schematic etc), postit notes, parent comments, art work, half termly next steps and PLOD sheets. We too have 50+ children and the files are maintained by the individual keyworkers on a weekly basis.

Hi, out of interest, how many key children do each of your key workers have?

Hi

I have got 22 key children. Our LJ consists of photos, observation through the child voice and my obs of them. I have to complete 5 obs a day which may come form a focus task or spontanious from the rest of the day. Parents are encouraged to have a imput but most dont bother......Lots of hard work for me to be honest as 15 of my children are at nursery fulltime.

blue

I have just done a sheet showing our learning journals for our Bristol Standard as evidence. I hope this helps. We have spent the last four years making these manageable. like others staff have approx 15 key children. These are the learning journals for our 3-4 year olds. our younger children we do slightly different as they only attend one session per week.

First page has family photos. we also encourage photos of events to be bought in.

Each term we put in our planning sheet.

We then have a page where we focus on one aspect in each of the areas of learning. Staff take approx 5-6 photos showing evidence of this.

If a child is involved in a group activity such as going for an autumn walk I will do a sheet that goes in the learning journals showing there were involved in this activity.

Other things that go in are wow stickers from parents.

The last page for the term is a termly review or report for that child.

hope this helps there is no right or wrong its what is right for your setting whilst being managable. staff just about keep on top of this.

Buttercup

Dimension.docx

Edited by Buttercup

Buttercup, please can you tell me what you do differently for the younger ones? My team with the younger ones semm to be floundering a bit and it would be good to give them a new approach to their 'journal work'

yes no problem. We did do it the same as 3-4 but found because they only come once a week then if off ill did not get photos.

What we are planning on doin now is to have a sheet at front explaining eyfs areas of learning. then each big term so 3 times per year have a page of photos linked to 6 areas of learning. It will seem like they will not have much in theres but they will have at least a whole year where they will get more before going to school.

buttercup

Yes, that sounds simple. As you say, it's really hard when they only come one or two sessions a week. They can hardly complain if there's not much in their folder if they're never there!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)