Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Performance And Boys In Reception

Hi all

I am currently thinking about what we can do for our Christmas performance. Yikes, I know it is scary but preparation and all that! We have over 100 children in our unit. We have over 40 Reception and the rest are Nursery. We usually have two performances. Does anyone have any great ideas that they would like to share? I would also like to ask anyone if they have any advice on boy top heavy classes. All of my children come together tomorrow for the first time and I know it is going to be a loud year! Any ideas to keep boys interested in all aspects of the areas? i have one boy at the moment who is unable to stay at an activity for more than 2 minutes, he tends to arrive, disrupt things that others are doing and leave and is unable to stay engaged at group time or carpet time. Thanks in advance. :o

Phew sounds scary! :o So many children!

Only have a small preschool and committee want us to do some sort of Christmas show...not really in favour of it as children are too young and its more for parents than them....if we do it it certainly wont be anything really structured. Im thinking just dress up (optional) and singing christmas songs altogether...reckon it'll be 15 mins absolute max!... xD

phew, thought it was just me!! Not a big fan of productions; weeks and weeks of stress for staff and children and "out of routine" days. Just for 20-30 mins for parents to go "aahh" and take a dozen photos!!!

However good luck to those of you who do do them, I suspect I may be one of them this year as I've moved to a new setting and they are used to doing them.................!

Born in a Barn is fab we did that one last year really good songs that are catchy and quick to learn. We are doing Wriggly Nativity this year we did this one a few years ago and was good especially for little ones.

Hi we have used Whoopy Daisy Angel in the past but definitely one for the older children as it has quite a lot of narration.We have also used The Nativity. What about " Twas the night before Christmas" from the story, with additional favourite songs, musical instruments etc. We have children from two and a half to five, so as stress free as possible, lots of fun, dress up or not does it really matter as long as everyone has a lovely time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I have done Wriggly Nativity several times and it is excellent for the very youngest children as moving around is expected, I have also done The Sleepy Shepherd which has lovely songs. My problem this year is that we have a large group of children for whom a nativity play is against religious views so I am thinking of doing a 'Winter Concert' and actually feel that this will be less stressful and not so manufactured. We can use songs they are already familiar with and still have a family celebration feel to the proceedings. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, I am sure the parents will enjoy you efforts

phew, thought it was just me!! Not a big fan of productions; weeks and weeks of stress for staff and children and "out of routine" days. Just for 20-30 mins for parents to go "aahh" and take a dozen photos!!!

However good luck to those of you who do do them, I suspect I may be one of them this year as I've moved to a new setting and they are used to doing them.................!

Not a fan either but that's not intended as criticism of those who choose to do productions, each to their own etc. I have worked in my setting for over 12 years and we don't do them and don't intend to. Perhaps we would if parents wanted it but year on year we get thanked for not doing a production and just giving the children a party. Same as graduation ceremonies, just not for us - we have a leaver's party and they each get given a book with a personal message written inside but there is no 'presentation ceremony'

Hi

Thanks to everyone who has posted replies about Christmas. It is true that it is very stressful. I went with songs and rhymes two years ago which was lovely. I might try that again but will have a look at wriggly nativity too. thanks Sue for the links about boys. They are little treasures but will need headache tablets and earplugs by the end of this week ha ha. Cheers all :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)